Your favorite way of dealing with alternate mixes [SOLVED]

strikingtwice

So i'm working on some SFX for our game, and a lot of the "FX families" will have common things throughout them, like Defense down or hit points plus attacks. I may use a lot of the same samples, and share a lot of similarities. I've been setting up markers and working between them. I also tried folders. Sometimes, they need different master out mix stuff. Do you think the best way to go about this would be to simply duplicate the folder in Finder? That way I'm not duplicating assets or anything like that, yet i still have a clean and independent workspace for them?

No, I wouldn't do anything in the Finder.

In Logic, choose File > Save As... and save your project under a new name. Even if you leave the "Include Assets" selected in the save window, Logic is smart enough to not re-save the same assets twice and simply creates your alternate project file in the same project folder:

116238745_ScreenShot2013-02-11at12_21_54PM.png.aa928214d5be63c752a5e15f714774a1.png

As David says, "Save As" is your friend here.

Alternatively, you could use folders within Logic but as you've pointed out, sometimes you need different mix levels for the alternative mix. One way of dealing with that is to move all the automation to the regions:

Track / Track Automation / Move All Track Automation to Regions

If you do it this way, you'll have to mute the folders containing those regions so that the Region Based Automation (RBA) doesn't conflict with new track automation.

I seem to remember save as wanting to do a whole new folder

It did in past versions (not sure which version number exactly), but it no longer does. Back then, the workaround was to deselect "Include assets" when doing a Save As, so I already had the same workflow. It's just easier now as there's no need to worry about the assets being duplicated.