Recording midi notes from an arpegiated instrument?

Puzzlefactory

I have a track with an FM8 patch with the internal arpeggiator activated. I like the riff that is created from it and i want to copy it to another track to layer extra sounds over the top, following the same riff. How can i transfer that pattern over?

I can't just copy the region as that just has the basic notes used to trigger the arpeggiator and the not the final riff. In Ableton you can just route the midi output from one channel to another and then hit record, is it possible to do that with Logic too?

n Ableton you can just route the midi output from one channel to another and then hit record, is it possible to do that with Logic too?

Yes, it's true that in Ableton Live you can route plug-in's MIDI output to other channels. But that's not the case with the FM8's arpeggiator. You can't send FM8's arpeggiated notes as MIDI. It doesn't matter what DAW you use.

For plug-ins that do output MIDI (Kirnu, for example), if you want to do that sort of thing in Logic (sending arpeggiated notes to another instrument, recording this data to another track, etc) the plug-in must have a virtual MIDI port:

47294869_VirtualMIDIPort.png.b36484c32dd3344c50787b79a510e8ed.png

J.

re: using audio to score

How about saving the arp pattern within FM8, then instantiating it on another instance of FM8 with a very plain sound (i.e. something that makes it easier for Logic's audio to score function to work) ?

I've had mixed results with audio to score, and it definitely works best with simpler material (no complex timbre or amplitude envelopes).

Yeah, both ideas i'm going to try.

The keyboard in FM8 actually shows the notes played, so worse comes to the worst, i can always recreate the pattern from sight. And i think i simpler sound would help (i even tried the new audio to midi feature in Live 9 without success, so i think the timbre of the sound is working against me).