Audio Units scan after every restart [SOLVED]

jlcnyc

After experience ZERO problems on my Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion, I recently also upgraded my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion.

However on my Mac Pro - my Audio Units Manager rescans my plugins every time I open Logic (after a restart)

(This is NOT an issue on my laptop - only the desktop mac)

I think I "understand" the problem - my user cache is not showing the file: "com.apple.audiounits.cache"

The file isn't being created (or saved obviously)

(this file does exist on my laptop)

Unfortunately I have no idea how to correct this problem

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me most likely to be permissions issues with the user account.

Try creating a new user account, and running Logic in that. Does the audiounit cache file get built and saved correctly now?

Also, if you are running Logic in 64-bit mode - try running it in 32-bit mode first, and seeing whether that has any affect.

Yes - full Audio Units Manager running on each start up

I've booted in 32 bit - same thing occurs

I've seen mention of Novation Automap being a potential problem - I don't know what Automap is???? - so I guess I don't have it installed.

Will try new user account

Thanks for all help

The Audio Units cache file may have become corrupted:

1. Quit Logic Pro

2. In the Finder:

• Mac OS X 10.7.x - Press and hold down the "option" key, then select "Library" from the "Go" menu

• Mac OS X 10.6.x - Select "Home" from the "Go" menu, then open the "Library" folder

3. Open the "Caches" folder

4. Drag the following file to the Trash:

- com.apple.audiounits.cache

5. Configure Logic Pro to open in 32-bit mode

6. Open Logic Pro - all 32-bit plug-ins will be scanned

7. Quit Logic Pro

8. Configure Logic Pro to open in 64-bit mode

9. Open Logic Pro - all 64-bit plug-ins will be scanned

10. Quit Logic Pro

Logic Pro should now only scan for new plug-ins on subsequent launches.

Thanks

Actually I think the problem is that the file: "com.apple.audiounits.cache" is NOT being created after scanning the plugs. Sometimes when I look in the user library, the "audiounits.cache" file exists (and Logic opens properly). Other times (especially after a restart) I look in the library and file does NOT exist???? Still investigating.

Unfortunately the issue is intermittent at this point. I can't recreate the problem consistently.

I've repaired permission, created a new user..... but still haven't figured it out. But at least Logic works!!!!

(FYI - I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion AND installed ProTools 10 - I'm thinking that has something to do with this issue)

Will keep an eye on it

UPDATE:HELP!!!!

I'm still having problems with the cache in my user account.

EVERY TIME I open Logic (after a RESTART), Logic does a full audio units rescan (because the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache" keeps disappearing from my user library cache)

When opening Logic in 64-bit mode - I notice that even AFTER a full AU scan - the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache" is not being created? weird!

When opening Logic in 32 bit mode - it seems to consistently CREATE the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache".

(but after restart, cache no longer shows the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache")

I've repaired permissions - no luck

I've trashed Logic prefs - no luck

I've created a NEW USER account - and the problem does NOT (seem to) exist. The cache is consistently being retained in the NEW USER (even after start up)

What is this telling me?

Corrupt user account?

What's my next move????

I don't know if this is a Mountain Lion issue? or a Logic issue?

Also - I'm not completely clear when the problem started - but it was definitely post-Mountain Lion.

I only recently upgraded to ML on my studio Mac Pro (after experiences NO problems with ML on my laptop)

FYI - Very soon after upgrading to ML, I also installed ProTools 10. I wondered if PT10 may be the problem - but I've since uninstalled PT10 - and the problem still exists.

Any help is greatly appreciated

I'm still having problems with the cache in my user account.

Did you do what I asked you to try?

I've created a NEW USER account - and the problem does NOT (seem to) exist. The cache is consistently being retained in the NEW USER (even after start up)

So it works fine in the new user account, as I suspected it would?

So yes, you have permissions issues.

Corrupt user account?

Possibly, or some permissions issues somewhere. Unfortunately these can be quite tricky to find - repair permissions won't help, as it just resets various system things. Sometimes it's easier just to move everything to a new fresh user account and trash the old one.

I don't know if this is a Mountain Lion issue? or a Logic issue?

So, it's an OSX user account issue with screwy permissions. It happens.

What are your permissions on /Users/*YOU*/Library/Cache and /Users/*YOU*/Library/Cache/com.apple.audiounits.cache?

Get info (command-I) in the finder to see.

They should be read & write for your user account, and read only for everyone else. If they are not that, set them to that and "apply all to enclosed".

Reboot.

Try again - any different, or do you still see the same behaviour?

Thanks so much for the reply

I checked the "sharing and permissions"

They were correct for the audiounits.cache...

But set incorrectly for Library/cache. I changed "everyone else" to read only and applied to enclosed items.

After a restart - the audiounits.cache was still present (!!!) in the library. After logging in to another user, still ALL GOOD

then I logged in (and back out) of my "new user" account.... and the audiounits.cache file was gone (argghhhh)

However after rescanning in 64 and 32 bit - I've restarted and logged in and out (a couple of times) and the file still exists in my cache.

fingers crossed

Long story short - results unclear at this point. A solid "maybe"????

but thanks a million. Out of time for troubleshooting today

Will update

• 3 weeks later...
Upgrading to Mt Lion corrupted my user account.

I created a new user and problem disappeared.

Yeah, it sometimes happens, and the cleanest simplest way of fixing a flaky account it is to create a new one and junk the old...

Thanks for the update.