Drum roll from loop (midi) not happening. [SOLVED]

Anise

I hope someone can help. I've been looking and scratching my head over this for a few days now. I want to use Timpani Escape A in the arrange window as it has a nice roll to it that will lead nicely into my next section. Problem is: When I drag it into the arrange window from the Loop Library it no longer rolls and I just get a timpani strike, a pause another strike and another pause until all 4 strikes have finished, no rolling.

Is there something I have to turn on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? It seems strange to drag a loop (it's a midi loop) from the loop library and not have it perform as it sounds when auditioning it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Vikki.

Try it on an audio track; green loops contain both MIDI and audio, and what you heard in preview was the audio. Without having listened yet I would say the roll you heard was probaly created by some sort of delay or echo.

Yep, that should work. I wonder what that foot control message (CC 4) is supposed to do in the MIDI loop though...? Anyone? Is that some sort of articulation controller? It doesn't seem to do anything...

639330100_pic2013-02-20at11_34_19.PNG.23b6b3d881173d5e62743713650435ec.PNG

Edited by Eriksimon

Ahhhh, yes! Now you mention it... when I dragged it to the arrange window it created an EXS(?) channel strip and the arranger showed midi notes. I will create an audio track tonight and drag it into that.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Very much appreciated. I'm new to Logic (coming from Sonar 2) and it is quite different to what I'm used to. Thanks again.

Vikki.

Yes. This is a weird bug

The problem is that it has the controller data mixed up.

The samples that it's triggering are programmed to respond to CC01 but the automation in the region is CC04.

EXS has an option to map CC04 to mod-wheel (CC01) for compatibility with garageband instruments but the Apple Loop is not pointing to the correct sampler instrument.

You can easily fix like this:

1. Click and hold on the Input slot where you see Tuned Perc
  2. Change the instrument to an EXS24 (Stereo) instead.
  3. Click on the EXS browser were you see Timpani displayed.
  4. Now navigate through the Garageband folder and find the Timpani instrument.
  5. You will now hear the roll.

Another option is just to select all CC04 Messages in the Event List and change them to CC01.