Audio CODEC conflict

Attracks pilot

It seems that my iMac can only handle one (external) audio system. I always worked with one (Alesis MultiMix 8 USB, but after installing a second one (Numark USB TurnTable) the Audio MIDI Setup system shows both audio devices ... but with the same name. So far, I wasn't able to change one these names and the iMac only recognizes the last one.

Please help!

Cheers

I've had the same problem with "USB audio codec", these were devices with a TI 2900 or 2902 chip: Alesis 320 computerspeakers and a Behringer USB mixer.

I believe this name is actually read from the chip itself, so there's nothing you can do to change that, you'll just have to remember which one is listed first. Or you'd have to test which is which each time by taking one offline (=unplug or power down. Should 'grey out' in AMS) and putting it back online.

I could use them both though, in an aggregate device. The Behringer (TI 2902) I quickly dismissed, as it often lost connection with the Mac. The Alesis speakers/interface (they also have a stereo input, so it is also a 2in/2out interface) always worked and still works well, though I do not use the inputs.

Thanks EricSimon for your quick reply. I didn't know these addresses are read from chips.

As a matter of fact, I can't switch the devices off in my case. Even if I power down the equipment, the devices are still 'recognized' by AMS: they don't grey out. My only work-around so far is to unplug the USB-cables, which is far from ideal.

Btw (bij de weg): what aggregate device did you use?

Thanks again!