Industrial Psycho House Trance

David Nahmani

Industrial Psycho House Trance - or whatever you want to call it? :mrgreen:

There are stories of Love (This is not one of those stories)

It all started with an idea for a bass line that developed on the plane back from Miami Beach to LA. This track was entirely made in Logic Pro, no 3rd party plug-ins or instruments. Just a lot of tweaking and quite a bit of automation!

Oh and another thing: during the genesis of this track, many times I heard the usual little voice. You know, the little voice inside your head that tells you that you suck, that you can't write for sh^&t, that your sounds are dated, that this motif is cliche, that this has been done before, blah blah blah. Well this time, all II did was STOP LISTENING! And in the good words of a close friend of mine: FOLLOW YOUR HEART! If you like it and think it should be in the track, then put it in.

There are still a couple of tracks that didn't make it in the final mix because I ended up deciding they had no place in this track. I would love to hear your comments, suggestions or ideas!

Kick: ES 2

Bass: ES 2

Snare, Hat & Crash: Ultrabeat

Other Snares, Percussions (@ 2:37): EXS 24

Pads: EXS 24

Lead Synth (@ 3:00): ES 2 sidechained into an ES 1 <- I'm really happy with how this sound turned out.

All Other Synths: ES 2

Vocoder (@ 2:30): EVOC 20

Whining Cat-like sound (@ 2:07): EFM 1

Oh, here's my favorite!

Bass (@ 2:22): EXS 24 without loading any instrument (sine wave) - such a cool sound.

Logic-Pro003.jpg.8848ec2ebdf925a8abe486641e5bc226.jpg

David -

Thank you SOOOOOO much for providing this track. I am helping a buddy get his mind around the capabilities of Logic and what he can accomplish with it in a standalone capacity. This is EXACTLY what he needs to hear.

This is a great track! I (honestly) have only listened to few demos completely through because they get boring or aren't catchy from the beginning. I heard this ENTIRE track to fading reverb tail. Overall, EXCELLENT job. You should collaborate with forum member Jeremy Alexander.

If I could make one suggestion: play with the pan automation a bit. I've found that keeping the audience guess on WHERE the sound will come from is just as important as WHEN it comes.

I'll post some stuff soon - gotta "collectavize" it. (As a long gone buddy would say.)

JG

Hi David: this is your number one attendent at the WMC Apple seminars,LOL! Well first off I am extremely impressed that you were able to work on music coming back from that week! HOw many parties did you hit? My flight home consisted of my GF waking me up at each flight connection out of a dazed hungover comatose aaand i lost my baggage!!

I really enjoyed listening to this because after hitting your seminars I have a bit of idea how you created all this, great work. I would love to see more info on how you chained an ES1 with an ES2, can you elaborate?

All the sounds youve created here a frikiin awesome. Bring the tempo a bit down, add some compressor pumping action, more vocoder and change out that kick and u got yourself a current electro/UK house track; my scene exactly :)

The only thing I dont like is that ES2 kick. Even during that seminar I wasnt feeling it. It sounds like the sort of kick you would here in some dated 90's techno. Of course I am biased to the bits you hear in Electro/HOuse and wouldnt step foot in a Tiesto concert, so you tell me...

After two days recovery Im in front of my Mac working on all the tips you showed me and producing my own ditty along the way, maybe if im satisfied ill post it up too.

Thanks for all your help and great track here;)

David

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing this track! Nice to get some ideas how to use the Logic internal VI's for a new Logic user :) As mentioned above, I also find the highs a bit to sharp/present/distorted. Imho could make the track better if those where less at the foreground.

Bart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really cool track, David!

I would agree with D. Gross overall that frequently you have too many sounds fighting for the same sonic range. They could use a little more breathing room to open the mix up a litttle.

While admittedly I know little about Trance the mix also seems a little bit static to me.

But overall, a terrific effort.

Wow, what cool sounds David! The arp thing has enough "oil" to make it shine through the scratch but I'm with some of the others here, I'd like to hear a few holes in the scratchy bits. I like the big changes in texture, and the build at the top is great.

That being said the lead scream thing that comes in at the two thirds mark - don't touch it! It's great!

Great production Dave!

I don't think logic pro out of the box is half bad, in fact I think its pretty versatile and you can get many types of sound without having to resort to plugins and I think this piece is a great illustration of that.

I like the rough scratchy industrial noises. Breakdown in the middle is good depravity before that distorted melody at the end which is a great hook. I like the way those tones "slide" into their notes, I still don't know how to achieve this effect with any great control yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love that wacky synth sound on the left channel! I think you used the same thing for your lead - but I am not sure. I wouldn't mind using that prest on a tune.

Overall a really kewl tune! I thknk you did a really good job on the tune.

Thank you for sharing with us!

Scott

BTW - when are you planning on doing a video tutorial? I think you should make all kinds of little tricks & tips and post them one by one on this site!

I bet somebody would see them, and then want to produce an instructional DVD for you ..... cha-ching!! $$$$$

Thanks!

I have actually already been offered training video deals by a couple of publishers, but had to decline. Right now I'm busy working on other projects. I'd love to make some kind of video though... when I can find the time, and I'll probably do it on my own terms and publish it myself, right here on LogicProHelp.com !

Thanks all for the kind words! If I can find the time I'll upload some of the riffs for remixes.. sorry editbrain for the wait!