Major & minor Circle of 5th

The Artwork is nice, part of it reminds me of this girl before she got famous:

Unfortunately...

It may be early in the morning, but I don't get the series "numbers of..." in all cases. You say that C has either 2 sharps or 6 flats? I was taught that C has no sharps or flats...

I would go:

#s:

C-0, G-1, D-2, A-3, E-4, B-5, F#-6 and C#-7

bs

C-0, F-1, Bb-2, Eb-3, Ab-4, Db-5, Gb-6 and Cb(B )-7

...or is there something I've missed?

G has one sharp,that being F(sharp). D has 2.the new one being C(sharp).

Gesnopen?

:)

Voor geen meter. :oops:

Ah, OK, I didn't get that the C pointed to is in fact a C#. So you mean in A we have three sharps, first of which is the C, second the F and thirdly the G which in fact are not there (in the A scale) because they all have been transposed to #.

OK, going back the chart, I am still confused. :( It still reads like the "numbers of sharps" (in the scale of ...) and even reading back and forth between the explanation and the charts, I still can't get my head around it.

[mutters:]

...so because C is the third sharp in A, the number of A is 3? Or 6? Because F is number 6 (or the second sharp?) Or does that make it 2? Or is it 3 and 7? Because G is 7 is the 3rd sharp in A?

:| :( :x :? :cry:

Maybe later today I get a :idea: eureka-moment, but for now I'll leave it...

in Gb it is the C which is the 6th flat

:? How can the C ever be a flat in Gb? As a Dbb? But that's at best... And 6th? I'd say the 6th in Gb is Eb?

Apparently Eric does get it...

Cb is the 4th of Gb.(But is the 6th of the 6 flats in Gb)

so because C is the third sharp in A, the number of A is 3? Or 6? Because F is number 6 (or the second sharp?) Or does that make it 2? Or is it 3 and 7? Because G is 7 is the 3rd sharp in A?

C is the 2nd sharp. G is the 3rd.

The numbers at the top correlate to the steps around the circle so that step one away from C clockwise has one sharp,that being the F which is raised a semitone to Fsharp. The next along has 2,the extra 'new' sharp this time being the C. See?

stalf rof etisoppo ehT.

:)

Edited by Beer Moth

I get what's going on, but don't think it's spelled out all that well.

The circle of fifths artwork I drew up for my students many moons ago listed the order of sharps and flats at the bottom of the page, and the keys around the circle, with the numbers indicating the quantity of sharps/flats in the relative key (I mean the relative key, not the relative key).

This works well enough, but I think it requires a bit of existing knowledge (for example, someone not familiar with the concept of the circle of fifths wouldn't know what keys come after D- or E-), and is probably more handy for people that simply can't remember the order of alterations, or want to quickly know the ordinal value… however that's going to be of assistance.(?)