Different multiples of bpm for drum beats?

Hello,

I work a lot with arpeggiated sequences and it is very difficult to determine the bpm of a sequence I am trying to track with a corresponding drum beat. I know one can use the BPM Counter under Metering, but, this doesn't always work and sometimes, even when it does work, I want to alter the speed of the drum beat.

So, my question is...are there different multiples of drum beats that are 'fair game' when altering the bpm? Halving and doubling the bpm are pretty obvious. Are there more sophisticated multiples that would work as well?

Simply trying to use one's ears is too frustrating and time consuming. :D

Thanks.

Thanks. Cool song, btw.

With regards to the snare...it sounds like the the drummer is playing off beat and then speeding up the rhythm during the chorus in double time. Am I correct in assuming this? What exactly is the drummer doing that's unique?

Talking about the intro and the first chorus: Seems to me that the tempo of the snare stays the same, in spite of the rest of the song changing meter (it starts out 3 based and then switches to 2 based). There is no doubling, the song only appears to speed up at the chorus.

No off beat playing, no speeding up, no double time!!

It's simply that he plays the kick on the beat, and the snare is playing every dotted quarter note (creating 2/3 timing relationship). The interesting twist however is that he starts the song with the snare, which is playing every dotted note, but not knowing any better yet, we can only assume that's the beat, or at least the 2 and the 4... only when the kick comes in we realize it isn't....

1824038923_ScreenShot2013-05-09at1_40_10PM.png.0392b1ce0e47802307244dc6619d0197.png