Virtual instruments out of tune (sample)

jujucaster

That does sound pretty bad but I'm not convinced it's a tuning problem. Have you tried inserting a tuner on both channel strip, and have both instruments hold the same note?

If this is a pitch issue: have you used the pitch bend wheel at any point? Sometimes you send a pitch bend event to an instrument, and you stop recording for example before the pitch bend wheel goes back to the zero position - so the instrument stays out of tune. Record enable the instrument and move your pitch bend wheel up and back to zero to reset the instrument's pitch.

It sounded to me that the vibrato on the B3(?) is pretty wide and slow enough that you can hear the highs and lows of the detuning, both of which are out of tune with the bass. (What I heard sounded both flat and sharp at the same time, weird. I suspect that there are a couple of LFOs fighting with each other). BTW, while it sounds bad in the context of what you are probably trying to do, that is a sound that could be used in another context. I'ld remember it. You could look for a different organ sound.

I inserted a tuner on the bass channel and this is what my A, D and E look like:

The idea is to ALSO insert a tuner on the organ channel so you can compare the tuning of both instruments. Right now it looks like your bass is on the flat side, let's see how your organ is?

If you want to attach your Logic project to this thread that allows us to also look at it from our machines, which is faster to troubleshoot... to do that, control-click the project in your Finder and choose "Compress", which creates a .zip file, and attach the .zip file to the thread.

Ok so the B3's "Chorale" effect on the B3 really doesn't help as it keeps bending the B3's pitch. That's what Artlowell had heard in your original sample.

Ok so the tuners show me that the organ is a bit sharper than the bass. I tried lowering the tuning of the organ, and it sounds better. Play with the B3 tuning a bit until you find a setting that sounds in tune for you. Personally I can get it closer, but it's never going to be perfectly in tune with the chorale effect on, which means the tuning of the B3 keeps fluctuating while the tuning of the bass is pretty much consistent.

tuning.png.88a5a206013391fb8ec69e5fc04ea882.png

I personally find the bass way out of tune and the tuner tells me the same thing.

This thing is driving me crazy.

Why don't you simply tune it? Use the "Fine" knob in the EXS24 to tune the entire bass instrument. If specific samples need individual tuning you can tune them in the instrument editor using the "Fine" parameter in the "Pitch" category.

FWIW I don't think that a bass sounds in tune when the tuner is displaying 0. I prefer to stretch their tuning a bit on the lower notes... much like piano tuners do with pianos. Your ears will serve you better than a tuner.

Archived