Logic Pro X - How to use 32-bit AU & VST plug-ins

Simon Morrison

Someone claiming on the KVR forums they've successfully got Sylenth1 (32-bit VST) running through JBridge combined with FXPansion VST to AU Wrapper.

http://imgur.com/Xwzu7Eq.jpg

Will give this a try tonight. My only question that doesn't appear to be clear, is the FXPasion wrapper a 64-bit AU?

I have tried a ton of methods to get Sylenth1 to work. Br0ckout, the picture you posted is a guy running Sylenth1 from maschine. I used jBridgeM and was able to successfully wrap the Sylenth1 32bit vst as a 64bit vst (I confirmed it worked with Live 9 64 bit). However, I was not able to adapt the 64bit vst to an AU using the FXpansion adapter or VSTAU manager. I couldnt find the most recent release of VSTAU, only 0.2rc2, but I suspect it wouldnt work regardless. Also, I tried Symbiosis, which showed the most promise, but unfortunately still didnt work. From everything I have tried, it looks like as of right now the only way to run Sylenth1 in LPX is to use maschine, vepro or bidule, or if Lennard ever releases a 64bit version.

Sylenth1.thumb.jpg.d355888c3f9128adcd662b1a92dd00da.jpg

and Goodbye NI - Spekatral Delay :cry:

wish someone in the near future could make a 32 bits AU to 64 bits AU Wrapper

I hope.. in the meantime Logic pro 9

there are alot of AU that doesn't have 64 bits support or will never be

I wish Logic pro X could give us the option to use it as 32 bits,

for me I have no problems using it at 32 bits if there could be that Option ........

and logic has no New Plug.ins I mean 2 or 3 but Compressors Eqs limters

Delays Reverbs etc... NOTHING.. unbelievable,, drummer is ok but

SUperior Drummer eats it in a Second,.,

for me this upgrade is nothing more than just changing the colors,

flex pitch it's ok but no polyphonic,,.. again...

even the skins of the plugins still the same...

Terrible Upgrade,,,, nothing out of this planet.

and Goodbye NI - Spekatral Delay :cry:

wish someone in the near future could make a 32 bits AU to 64 bits AU Wrapper

I hope.. in the meantime Logic pro 9

there are alot of AU that doesn't have 64 bits support or will never be

I wish Logic pro X could give us the option to use it as 32 bits,

for me I have no problems using it at 32 bits if there could be that Option ........

and logic has no New Plug.ins I mean 2 or 3 but Compressors Eqs limters

Delays Reverbs etc... NOTHING.. unbelievable,, drummer is ok but

SUperior Drummer eats it in a Second,.,

for me this upgrade is nothing more than just changing the colors,

flex pitch it's ok but no polyphonic,,.. again...

even the skins of the plugins still the same...

Terrible Upgrade,,,, nothing out of this planet.

I think if it were polyphonic it would sound like ass! Just like melodyne DNA does. I don't think polyphonic pitch correction will

ever become a norm.

I have tried a ton of methods to get Sylenth1 to work. Br0ckout, the picture you posted is a guy running Sylenth1 from maschine. I used jBridgeM and was able to successfully wrap the Sylenth1 32bit vst as a 64bit vst (I confirmed it worked with Live 9 64 bit). However, I was not able to adapt the 64bit vst to an AU using the FXpansion adapter or VSTAU manager. I couldnt find the most recent release of VSTAU, only 0.2rc2, but I suspect it wouldnt work regardless. Also, I tried Symbiosis, which showed the most promise, but unfortunately still didnt work. From everything I have tried, it looks like as of right now the only way to run Sylenth1 in LPX is to use maschine, vepro or bidule, or if Lennard ever releases a 64bit version.

If you know of 3 methods that actually work why aren't you trying any of these?

The latest version I'm finding is the same as the one I already had installed (v. 0.9730, 24 april 2013). For some reason when I load it (either as an instrument or audio effect), the editor window i nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

I think I saw someone on KVR had the same issue, and Plogue released a brand new update to fix it. Try checking versions again...

If you know of 3 methods that actually work why aren't you trying any of these?

Probably because VEP costs around 250 euro while Maschine and Bidule are pricey enough too, a lot of money just to get one synth working!

Have you tried rewiring X with reaper? A lot cheaper, would be interested to know how it works from a CPU point of view.

Just thinking about this whole ordeal...When Logic Pro 9 is running in 64 bit, its basically just pointing to AUIPCServer, AUIPCServerApp and 32-Bit Audio Unit Bridge when it comes to working with 32 bit plugins.

The 32-Bit Audio Unit Bridge and AUIPCServerApp are applications, I could be completely wrong here, but it seems as though there should be a way to make these apps work for X as well and utilize the already existing bridge. Besides copying the above mentioned apps over the MAAudioUnitSupport.framework, could it be something as straightforward as editing the plists for info and version?

thoughts?

Just thinking about this whole ordeal...When Logic Pro 9 is running in 64 bit, its basically just pointing to AUIPCServer, AUIPCServerApp and 32-Bit Audio Unit Bridge when it comes to working with 32 bit plugins.

The 32-Bit Audio Unit Bridge and AUIPCServerApp are applications, I could be completely wrong here, but it seems as though there should be a way to make these apps work for X as well and utilize the already existing bridge. Besides copying the above mentioned apps over the MAAudioUnitSupport.framework, could it be something as straightforward as editing the plists for info and version?

thoughts?

you're gonna also need a way to VALIDATE those plugins...no way to open logic 32bit to do that.

i've looked into the way the kvr dude did this, but...am instead moving into the future, and going 64bit all around.

AND abandoning sylenth1...much as i love it. WE make the music, the tools are just tools. will use other ones...

RIP sylenth1...

Not quite, some news from Lennard Digital...they've finally felt the pressure :D :

Recently we receive a lot of questions about how to run Sylenth1 in 64bit hosts on OSX, such as the new Logic X and Ableton Live 9. We are still working on a 64bit version of Sylenth1 and we're hoping to get it done before the end of this year. Until then there are a few options to run Sylenth1 in these hosts. You can find an example walkthrough here.

For Ableton Live it is recommended to use the 32bit version of Live to run Sylenth1. If you still need the 64bit version, you can use JBridge to run Sylenth1.

23 July 2013 Sylenth1 on Mac OSX 64bit

J.

The latest version I'm finding is the same as the one I already had installed (v. 0.9730, 24 april 2013). For some reason when I load it (either as an instrument or audio effect), the editor window i nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

I think I saw someone on KVR had the same issue, and Plogue released a brand new update to fix it. Try checking versions again...

Thanks beej, I've tried checking for a new version right from Bidule and it tells me I already got the latest version. Haven't found a more recent version at their website either.

J.

Reaper64 is working fine with me through rewire. I tested it with Sonic Charge Synplant and ReFX Plasticz. I also tested the Maschine/jbridge method. Both plugins worked fine that way as well.

The most elegant and CPU-friendly way so far, though, seems to be DDMF Metaplugin in combination with JbrigeM. Metaplugin lets you host vst's inside it, and the interface looks similar to Bidule. It's $39. I guess I'll be buying JbridgeM since it seems to work very well. I just wish the icon was prettier lol.

I always had the impression that jBridgeM was only for VST.

So it does now host AUs?

As a powercore user (which will never go 64 bit since TC killed it off completely, I would be really thrilled to find a way to continue using these in Logic for another few years.)

Hopefully some good news to come for those of us still around...

Cheers.

Ahh ok. Cool, thanks for calrifying. And hopefully Logic X will spawn an eventual 3rd part AU bit bridge plugin.

I shelled out so much on my powercore over the years that it would be a total shame to see that thing go to the plugin graveyard so soon... Sadly I saw this coming, for now stem mixes in L9 work if needed...

Thanks again...

I always had the impression that jBridgeM was only for VST.

So it does now host AUs?

Jbridge is VST-only. But DDMF's Metaplugin can load VST's. Metaplugin itself is available as an Audio Units plugin.

J.

metaplugin is not able to run 32bit plugs on a 64bit host, just tested the demo

Ok guys just made a quick test using jbridgem and sylenth demos (i own bidule) in logic 9 64bit.

works like a charm, it gets the tempo sync and you can use automations, no latency at all.

with this solution you can even run 32 bit effects just in case you have some that has not been updated yet.

feel free to test it in logicx :)

862908249_Schermata2013-07-30a18_29_36.thumb.png.351759b98e8d756bace002363ece28b1.png

1595914229_Schermata2013-07-30a18_29_49.thumb.png.872db0536c69f6b2f274557cb366e7e8.png

ah ok , same with bidule, i prefer bidule as i own it already, but maybe it should work fully functional with metaplugin aswell.

I prefer Bidule too for the same reason (I own it), but still, last time I tried to use a Jbridged plug through it the plug didn't show up in Bidule.

I however have no special need for any particular 32bit plugin, so no biggie. :)

J.

ah ok , same with bidule, i prefer bidule as i own it already, but maybe it should work fully functional with metaplugin aswell.

I prefer Bidule too for the same reason (I own it), but still, last time I tried to use a Jbridged plug through it the plug didn't show up in Bidule.

I however have no special need for any particular 32bit plugin, so no biggie. :)

J.

you have to run the bidule stand-alone first in 64bit mode in order to let it re-scan the plug-in and find the jbridgem converted ones.

also the bridged plug-in must be 32bit only else it finds a duplicate.

The most elegant and CPU-friendly way so far, though, seems to be DDMF Metaplugin in combination with JbrigeM. Metaplugin lets you host vst's inside it, and the interface looks similar to Bidule. It's $39. I guess I'll be buying JbridgeM since it seems to work very well. I just wish the icon was prettier lol.

Thanks for this info, I've used this solution to load ReValver MkIII.V, IK Miroslav Philharmonik and Slate FG-X and it's working really well. :D