Changing the size of audio file ... I only need parts of it

Jameslucas12

Hey guys so I am looking for some help.

We recorded a live session of three songs...all in one logic file as one project. Now what I need to do is separate the three songs out in to three separate Logic projects. When I do that if I select include assets and copy audio files it copies the whole original audio file into the new project directory...which I believe is what it is intended for.

However now I have 24 gigs of audio files 4 times on my hard drive. What I would like to do is cut up the audio files so that each of the audio files in the new project directories only contains the needed information for that song...not the whole live session.

How do I do that?

ALso one more question that is really bugging me. When I cut out the parts of the regions that I don't need Logic still sees the project as being 4000 bars long (the length of the whole night) instead of just the length of the individual song. How do I change the project length to reflect the portion of the night instead of the whole night?

Hello Jameslucas12 and welcome to Logic Pro Help! Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Here's what you could do:

Create 3 identical copies of the project, only with different names (song1, song2, song3). Now in each project's Arrange area, trim the regions and convert them to new audio files (in LPX Edit > Convert > Audio Region to New Audio File).

Once you're done for all 3 projects, delete the original audio files containing all 3 songs (make sure you have all your backups in order before deleting any media files - always) and clean up the bin (Edit > Select unused, then press delete) for each project.

Hope that helps.

What about "optimize selected" in audio bin which allows you to do all in one swipe and leave audio tail?

I'm not sure how you'd propose to use it in this workflow? Only way I can think of would be to first copy the the entire 3-song file? If that's your idea, then my method is faster as you only copy what you need from the 3-song file, rather than copy the entire file to later trim what you don't need.

Hey guys thanks for the reply.

David - When I create the new projects and then start deleting parts of the region that I don't need, logic still thinks that the project is 3 songs long...if you know what I mean...how to I make the project match the new length of the edited regions. Just by double clicking on the bar length in the transport bar and entering a new number?

Also does doing it your way change any of the audio file value? Original audio files vs the new shortened audio files for each of the three projects. If I keep the settings at 44.1 and 24bit will that work?

logic still thinks that the project is 3 songs long...if you know what I mean...how to I make the project match the new length of the edited regions. Just by double clicking on the bar length in the transport bar and entering a new number?

Yes, that will take care of the project end. To adjust the project start, create a cycle area of the empty section at the beginning of your project and choose Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Cut Section Between Locators.

lAlso does doing it your way change any of the audio file value?

Not as long as you leave all the File conversion settings alone in the Save Region As window you get after choosing Audio > Convert Region to New Audio Files (that's the correct location in Logic Pro 9).

lOriginal audio files vs the new shortened audio files for each of the three projects. If I keep the settings at 44.1 and 24bit will that work?

Just keep your original settings. Don't touch the settings, don't change anything, and you'll be using the same exact audio file format and settings.

Archived