The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

beej

Please check out my Logic Theme Switcher app at http://lts.coldpressgroup.com...

This is the short version... over at the gearslutz forum there are several individuals who are tweaking the GUI. This is accomplished by modifying the images (TIFFs) and the preferences (via a .plist), and those items are deep in the Resources inside the Logic application bundle. There are about 3500 files in this structure. The convention seems to be that a modified interface (called a 'theme') is only the altered files, typically around 100 files.

Instead of monkeying around inside the application Bundle, I decided to write this app... there's a link to a short video of it in action.

I like switching around between three different themes... this app makes it fast and easy.

You can reply or message me with comments/questions. Thanks, I hope you like it!!!

OT: does anyone know of Beej's whereabouts? (For those who don't know, he started this thread). He hasn't posted in quite some time and on a personal note, I'm a bit concerned because we were corresponding privately about GUI modifications for a while, but then both his public and private correspondence stopped cold sometime in August.

Birk, your Theme Swithcer is a fantastic resource. Thank you for your generosity in sharing your hard work. LPX was a welcome refreshment of the GUI but pretty damn dark. Really happy to be able to access different themes. A breath of fresh air and thanks again

Too bad there aren't any Retina templates yet.

I think these are the only ones for both non-Retina and Retina (I have not tested these with a Retina Mac, but they should work... please make a back-up first):

http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/give-me-some-light-a-quick-one/

http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/ru2b12s-green-on-black-themes/

Ooops... the link I included was for this forum.

Perhaps Apple / Logic tech support is reading this thread and will respond to user complaints the way they did with Final Cut Pro. I'm a member of the Screen Composers Guild of Canada and there have been lots of complaints about the GUI there too. It's not even a matter of personal preference. This new GUI is truly darker than any other app on my computer, so dark that some of the very features we should be enjoying are difficult to find and or see. Most unusually for Apple, this is a case of style and design getting in the way of function.

Could not agree more. This new GUI is REALLY tough to work with. I find myself struggling to find every little thing because it all melds together in one dark and dingy, un-customizable, interface. I miss the lighter, softer colors of LP9, it was just easier on the eyes.

Not liking the garageband-y behavior of the regions as well. They just seem less smooth to manipulate, very blocky and clunky. And the audio display resolution is strictly white and pretty low res, especially when viewing take folders. Some major updates needed here.

Too bad there aren't any Retina templates yet.

I think these are the only ones for both non-Retina and Retina (I have not tested these with a Retina Mac, but they should work... please make a back-up first):

http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/give-me-some-light-a-quick-one/

http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/ru2b12s-green-on-black-themes/

Thanks! Will have a look.

This new GUI is REALLY tough to work with. I find myself struggling to find every little thing because it all melds together in one dark and dingy, un-customizable, interface. I miss the lighter, softer colors of LP9, it was just easier on the eyes.

There is this mod by Chris Brown if you would like to try it:

http://logicxinterfaces.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/wtve4g.png?w=650

http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/logic-9-theme-for-x/

Also included as "Chris B LP9 for X v1" in this pack: http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/compilation-pack/

Ooops... the link I included was for this forum.

Perhaps Apple / Logic tech support is reading this thread and will respond to user complaints the way they did with Final Cut Pro. I'm a member of the Screen Composers Guild of Canada and there have been lots of complaints about the GUI there too. It's not even a matter of personal preference. This new GUI is truly darker than any other app on my computer, so dark that some of the very features we should be enjoying are difficult to find and or see. Most unusually for Apple, this is a case of style and design getting in the way of function.

Could not agree more. This new GUI is REALLY tough to work with. I find myself struggling to find every little thing because it all melds together in one dark and dingy, un-customizable, interface. I miss the lighter, softer colors of LP9, it was just easier on the eyes.

Not liking the garageband-y behavior of the regions as well. They just seem less smooth to manipulate, very blocky and clunky. And the audio display resolution is strictly white and pretty low res, especially when viewing take folders. Some major updates needed here.

Interestingly enough, for me I find the new GUI a HUGE improvement. I understand it could suck if you were working on location in the sun with a glossy screen or something like that, but for the studio a darker GUI has always been preferred by me. Much easier on the eyes in "mood" lighting environments...which the studios I work out of usually are.

Thanks to all who have contributed their efforts to these themes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has seen performance enhancements from changing the colors. We've noticed a serious slow down in Logic performance with simple navigation - scrolling for example. Seems like Logic X has a lot of emphasis on graphics which is slowing us down here significantly.

Anyone? Bueller? :-)

I noticed that the tools switching key-command operates sluggishly compared to previous version (10.0.4)...

Hey birk, despite your sage advice, i had already updated before resetting. And now, the Interface Mods are not working well at all for me. My own dumb fault, but do you have any advice about what i might do to recover? I do have a backup of the MAR Resources Framework folder from the previous version of LPX if that does me any good. Whatever it was before 10.0.5. Any advice greatly appreciated

PROJECT: CHIC & SIMPLE GUI FOR LOGIC PRO X

Hi there.

I am trying to customize the default unstylish GUI of Logic Pro X. I'll remove all colored button and unnecessary decoration. (Designers of this version are must be kids or geek guys or Windows user...)

*Of course I'll share the files after I totally finish.

A. TRANSPORT FLOAT

1. Remove the colored buttons. Especially, unsightly red REC button. (Do you need a stereotype red lamp? Don't worry. Transport area will be red when you are recording.)

2. Changed font color to more chic blue.

(If you want other color, of course you can.)

Transport.thumb.png.1cc92bd683515c927302f7fa525e6b58.png

Next, track headers. Get the modern and minimum design!

B. TRACK HEADER

1. Removed unstylish button images. (More space for track headers)

2. Changed font size of track name.

3. Removed unsightly green lamps on each track. (changed to "Black > Gray > Orange (orange is default of X)")

4. Removed colored button on the header. (see maker button)

TrackHeader.png.91dc4a6648f539c9a4dd2ebe8ae0911e.png

Edited by Enawas

Mixer is most important window of DAW.

The level meters and pans should be most eye-catching element.

The designers of Apple made such a mistake that is conflict to the basic knowledge of the designing. In this version, they set blue plug-in slot buttons above the level meters and pans...

C. MIXER

1. I didn't change colors of the level meter, because the colors (green, yellow and red) are defined by standard of loudness meter nowadays.

2. Removed colored button.

3. Changed highlight-color of the selected channel strip.

4. Changed color of thin border-line of the selected-window. (blue to gray)

5. Removed high-light effect of pushed button in the header.

6. Changed text font color to more chic blue.

(If you want other color, you can change it.)

Mixer.thumb.png.35029f01c4cf2f98b80076a78bca338d.png

Next, piano roll window.

Simplicity!

D. PIANO ROLL

1. Removed colored tab in the header.

2. Changed color of ruler_cycle image to more beautiful blue.

3. Changed color of guide-line of the ruler. (yellow to blue)

4. Changed color of white key.

PianoRoll.thumb.png.5956ead3b8db8760e19e031b39ea059a.png

Edited by Enawas

It's almost done.

E. SIDE WINDOWS

1. Removed unstylish colored buttons.

2. Removed effect of the pushed-tab in the header.

3. Changed color of the AppleLoop's icon. (to dark green and blue)

4. Consolidated color of text to chic blue.

SideWindows.png.161229bef5b0b1c21741580e0780e17b.png

Edited by Enawas

It's still imperfect...

Do I have to stay with the uncool, unstylish and puerile colors?

F. COLOR PALETTE

1. Optimized color collection for blue range and removed unsightly colours as possible.

2. But I couldn't change it freely, because designers of Apple eliminated sRGB code from color palette. We can use only BaseHue code anymore! This is crazy! (or is that bug?) So we can't change brightness and saturation of color freely...

3. Changed color of cycle-ruler. (yellow to blue)

ColorPalette.png.a401b07837a9395c3947655561fddb20.png

Edited by Enawas