The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

beej

Hey again, still in the dark regarding midi notes color tweaking here. Anyone with better luck?

I really can't understand why they altered what was in my view the best velocity lay out on the market. Think shades of purple in Cubase, shades of blue in Pro Tools...

I also think Apple's way of reversing the whole display concept in LPX is a step backward. Dark-ish elements on light-ish background works a treat, like pretty much everyone else does btw. If they opted for such drastic changes only to make the software stick to the FCPX theme, then I think they have it wrong. Editing is different in content and manner on each platform, and there was definitely a way of having them both share a look and feel without resorting to such extreme and counter productive changes.

I'll pass on the broken modifiers and shortcuts, but really, how such a major company releases only half-baked v1.0 software when they could be ruling the pro market with just a bit more dedication is beyond me...

Rant over :)

Cheers

I'm really intrigued by what forum member named Rojh did, with the inverted VU and Fader in the mixer.

Logic 9 had the VU to the left and the fader to the right, Logic X has the opposite which is Vu to the right and fader to the left.

This is a bit confusing and I often grab the wrong fader, so this mod would really be useful for me...

Here's the image Rojh posted earlier in this thread:

file.php?id=21738

Logic 9 had the VU to the left and the fader to the right, Logic X has the opposite which is Vu to the right and fader to the left.

This is a bit confusing and I often grab the wrong fader, so this mod would really be useful for me...

The Peak level meter position is dependant on the metering mode. Pre or Post fader.

Relevant GUI changes.

Hey again, still in the dark regarding midi notes color tweaking here. Anyone with better luck?

I really can't understand why they altered what was in my view the best velocity lay out on the market. Think shades of purple in Cubase, shades of blue in Pro Tools...

I had a quick look. While you can change the selected and unselected note gradient in the pianoroll, this really seems to be a greyscale over which the note colour overlay is drawn programatically - in other words, it's a top down gradient that makes the notes appear less or more "3D" in display, but it doesn't affect the note colour at all.

I tried resetting all the base colours of the colour palette to see whether this had any affect on the colours the various velocities get drawn, but it did not. Changing all the sRGB colours in the plist did not affect the velocity colours either, so I haven't had any success in getting these drawn in a different colour yet.

Awesome stuff! Just started customizing over the weekend.

Started with the window focus highlight. Always bugged me in LP9, and still bugs me in LPX as it's too subtle for my eyes. I like to know at a glance which window has focus.

Just edited the color of the "pane_focus.tif" file in the resources. Not the most appropriate color in terms of a unified HUD, but hey, it's obvious!

1947606232_ScreenShot2013-08-06at10_59_31AM.thumb.png.464ce5e9f05534de84f1a0c6ee0cc18f.png

On to Track Stacks. Anybody know how to change the background fill of these bad boys? I prefer to see more obvious grouping. Maybe a slightly darker or lighter color.

Just fiddled around with the plist file a bit. Trying to get the background color of the track header for Track Stacks to appear with a different color.

Looks like there is a general "gradient top" and "gradient bottom" setting which changes all track headers, including track stacks. Also found a setting for CollapsibleMasterIconBackgroundFill, but that changes the color of the Track Stack icon background, not the track header itself.

If anybody finds a way to change the background color of the Track Stack header without affecting normal track headers, said person would be my hero.

Tech talk here is way over my head, but I am cheering from the sidelines.

I don't think it's been noted yet that the velocity colors and note colors in Score can still bring up the OS pinwheel / crayons / RGB window.

Hope? It tells me that Logic is still talking to the color - picker - thingy on some level. But I lack the computer skills to act on that.

Those velocity colors in Piano Roll are hideous. It's like moving from Oz back to Kansas.

"Yes you can!"

Is it possible you mis-read my post, or is that a hearty voice of agreement?

I said we *can* still show velocity colors in Score, and more importantly, the colors themselves can be customized by double-clicking on them.

But we cannot customize colors in any other Logic X function (within the program).

Juss, do you think you could export them with transparency? I can notice the black background on the plugin interface ;)

Cheers

Sorry don't know how to do that (using Aperture). You have better eyes, I cannot see it...

By the way, here's some pics of the whole gui (non-Retina, mostly at least) and the download link: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9308790-post282.html

Sorry don't know how to do that (using Aperture). You have better eyes, I cannot see it...

That's not really a good tool to do this kind of thing - you really should be using an image editor that can open the file, and edit the contents, and save it in the same format preserving the transparency in the file.

Photoshop (or a similar image editing tool) is the correct tool for the job - Aperture and Lightroom are photo organisation and manipulation tools, and are not really suited to this kind of work...

Do you mean to the *left* of the arrange window? They are the same channel strips as the mixer, you can change the regular and highlighted versions separately.

DOH..... Meant left of course. What is the name of those values. Been searching the .plist but it is not obvious to me.

Hey there,

i'm new to this board - my english is not really good, but this forum

really helped me a lot during several nightly logic sessions, so i

finally decided to join :wink:

I'm also doing quite hard getting into LPX's new color scheme.

So after reading this really great thread my question still is:

Has anybody ever tried to get the colors black and white (or even grey) into

the color picker so that they can be used for coloring the track labels

in the mixer (or regions in the arrangement)? I managed out which

values have to be changed (Regions >> 01 - 24 >> BaseHue) but

i did not really figure out how this BaseHue value works. Or is it generally

not possible to setup these colors :cry: