The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

beej

Righty. Here's a hard one for the experts: How do you make the font in the regions smaller. AND make the space available for waveform drawing larger. It seems to me that a LOT of valuable screen estate is being eaten by the large font and the equally unnecessary large bar (only visible when selected) where the name resides.

Thank you guys for this thread. I find the new GUI great, except the color scheme. man, It's like throw back to the 70s...

I have a couple questions I have not been able to figure out by reading this thread.

Is there a way to change the selection color when you click on a region?

http://i.imgur.com/jUCqtud.png

The muted/ off white color just really insn't doing it for me.

Noted.

By the way, the work of TreyM on GearSlutz forums does look promising and IMO truly reveals the potential logic skins have. Not my cup of tea, but at least it doesn't look cluttered, over-saturated and sloppy.

http://magicmonkeystudio.com/storage/latest.png

http://magicmonkeystudio.com/storage/lemons.gif

Looks like tangerines. I mean so delicious. Having a favourite colour scheme pays off, someone might accidentally whip up a Logic skin in it! Thanks for bringing the intel to the world

A very big thanks to Kim, Beej, Chris and Lee, (and anyone I haven't mentioned) for these background changes to Logic's GUI.

I'm wanting to change a Track Stack's Colouring scheme, so that in the Arrange the colour doesn't fill the whole area of Tracks that are within the Track Stack. Ideally I'd like each Stack to be transparent, leaving only the Arrange's colour itself visible, but with the neat writing visible in the Arrange for each Stack. With 100s of instruments in each Stack the Arrange is now many different shades of 'Pastel'...

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Simon

I think the only way to avoid this is not to assign a color to the track stack. And i don't even think that is possible.

It hasn't bothered me (quite the opposite in fact) because i like the way it works), Not that that was of any help, sorry.

Thanks Kim, I'd still prefer a Digital Performer-style Track Folder layout, with just a strip of colour rather than the whole Stack's/Folder's contents. Anyway, here's my LPX compromise, creating the illusion of a Transparent Arrange...

LPX-NewArrangeColour.thumb.jpg.337a60ae7f71c127cbfe6b3093db6ab1.jpg

Dear sjazz1, Apple's not here. Apple's not even somebody. It can't answer you.

However, I thought briefly about your question, imagening myself to be Apple 8) with all 'my knowledge' of ergonomics and psychological and psychometrical and other scientific stuff about human preferences and human measure and stuff, and could come up with a lot of valid considerations to reduce the amount of screen elements and make them bigger - which happily coïncidentally go hand in hand.

So then I thought: why can't sjazz1 come up with roughly the same ideas? It wasn't too hard.

Edited by Eriksimon

Dear Apple, Although I like your modern looking Logic X GUI, how is a 20% reduction in Screen Real Estate an improvement?

Honestly on a larger screens I found GUI elements of LP9 too small. When working on a laptop however I'm catching myself increasing res to 1920*1200 instead of 1680*1050 like before.

I still like the new GUI. I actually love it.

I work in a very dim studio so LPX is actually just the right brightness, not at all too dark. LP9 proved to be fatiguing, I enjoy LPX way more from that perspective.

Does anyone have a Resources plist that changes only the spectrum of color choices in the palette? I'm finding plists here and on other sites that have palette changes for the better, but include other mods as well.

Also, please folks, you mighty tweakers and hackers out there, please don't give up trying to correct the abomination of Piano Roll velocity colors. MIDI note velocities go from 1 to 127. Piano Roll velocity colors go from 1 to 3. They go from greenish to greenish brown to mauve.

Dear sjazz1, Apple's not here. Apple's not even somebody. It can't answer you.

However, I thought briefly about your question, imagening myself to be Apple 8) with all 'my knowledge' of ergonomics and psychological and psychometrical and other scientific stuff about human preferences and human measure and stuff, and could come up with a lot of valid considerations to reduce the amount of screen elements and make them bigger - which happily coïncidentally go hand in hand.

So then I thought: why can't sjazz1 come up with roughly the same ideas? It wasn't too hard.

Dear Eriksimon,

My question was 'rhetorical' - judging by the level of your argument I think you may have to look up this word - designed to start a discussion, (that's what happens on Forums).

You talk of 'a lot of valid considerations', but fail to mention a single one. Perhaps you could enlighten the forum, or maybe you feel it's beneath your superior intellect to impart such wise tomes - more likely you'll need to ring someone at Apple, to find out what you meant!

Get off your condescendingly 'high' horse, (which in of itself is a thinly veiled defence of cowardice) and engage with proper debate - with any luck you might actually find that more stimulating than your current drab rhetoric.

Simon

"I found this DigitalColor Meter utility in my Utilities folder (don't know if it's there for everyone) which can come in handy for setting sRGB colors..."

"You just place the pointer over the color whose values you want to get, and use does to fill in the first three values as they appear in your plist editor. The fourth value seems to be the alpha value like beej says."

I have this utility, and I have the RGB settings I'd like, but they have no effect when I enter them in the plist. The only thing that changes the palette is a new BaseHue number. Am I correct in this, or am I missing something?

Dear Eriksimon,

My question was 'rhetorical' - judging by the level of your argument I think you may have to look up this word - designed to start a discussion, (that's what happens on Forums).

You talk of 'a lot of valid considerations', but fail to mention a single one. Perhaps you could enlighten the forum, or maybe you feel it's beneath your superior intellect to impart such wise tomes - more likely you'll need to ring someone at Apple, to find out what you meant!

Get off your condescendingly 'high' horse, (which in of itself is a thinly veiled defence of cowardice) and engage with proper debate - with any luck you might actually find that more stimulating than your current drab rhetoric.

Simon

Nah, I'll pass. You only want to fight and insult, and that is beneath me.

Dear Eriksimon,

Simon

Nah, I'll pass. You only want to fight and insult, and that is beneath me.

I thought as much! :)

"Déjà vu ..."

Hello Attracks Pilot. That is indeed the interchange I kept reading. But I could not tell if you were disproving the advice or adding to it.

So I must ask again: the entering of RGB numbers to re-color the palette for regions does not work, correct?

I've seen some jpgs of folks who have more brightly colored regions (as it was in Logic 9) in Main, but I can't bring them up. Using BaseHue, I can get some core changes -- and for the better -- but they're still muted to me. Contrarily, the colors in Environment -- even though they come from the same palette -- are much brighter.

OK. Now I understand your question a little bit better.

As far as I understand the current version of LPX, you can't get brighter colors by entering sRGB codes. You can only change the Hue-number, which refers to the "degrees" of the color-circle. I've done a lot of experimenting the past couple of weeks ... without any effect on the brightness.

I've seen those pictures too, but these are mock-ups (as far as I can judge).

See also: http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com/

The Environment in the current release is still reflecting the LP9-GUI. That's probably why you can get the colors brighter.

I hope I've clarified it for you now ... as far as my knowledge reaches ... :)

Many thanks, A.P. Yeah, I've thrown every sRGB color combination I can at the plist in Xcode. I still get those pasty-dull colors. They're definitely better than the original LPX palette. But that cartoon-like brightness that was once in Logic 9 ( and what remains in the Environment colors in LX) cannot be recaptured.

To me, the picture below illustrates colors brighter than I can get. This is from the link you included, and I have adjusted my colors per their instructions. But when I look at the orange below, for example, mine is a lot duller (even though the oranges in my palette box matches theirs and is set to their specs).

So between this and Environment, I can conclude that there's more going on regarding the ultimate appearance of the colors than the plist settings.

Again, thanks for your confirmation.

kuvankaappaus-2013-8-21-kello-2-45-15.jpg.749efb4f99223d5db4683eefdc42caa8.jpg

Thanks for the offer, AP. After some more investigating, I realized that the color discrepancies were a case of... er... "operator error," as they'd say in diplomatic circles. I had yet again lost a .plist to an upgrade. So I was comparing Apple to shades of orange.

So, I have side-stepped the custom icon issue, grimaced my way beyond the newly muted colors in Main, and even accepted that LPX cannot open my previous templates.

But the note colors of the velocities in Piano Roll remain ill-conceived. There is no work-around. Their inanity is proven by the color choices for note velocity in Score. That Score allows us to assign a wide range of color to velocities proves that someone at Apple is in the loop. That the velocities in Piano Roll have a narrow, poorly differentiated color scheme (without any user choice) proves that someone else at Apple needs to be brought into the loop.

It's nice we can somewhat modify the colors. But not far enough. I need to see black waveforms in light-colored regions. The way it's now - especially when working in an automation view is a total disaster !! And then there is the nearly invisible number value on the pan pots !! (Are they serious ???? !!!!!)

I use Logic since 1994 ... though I'm using other DAWs as well, Logic was always first choice for composing ... but this is crazy.

"But that cartoon-like brightness that was once in Logic 9 (and what remains in the Environment colors in LX) cannot be recaptured."

Quick clarification, and a small bug report. Last night I realized that many Environment objects follow after the new, duller palette. But here's an exception:

Below BOTH faders have the same highlighted color in the palette assigned to them. The Vertical 4 fader on the left retains a much brighter version of the color, reminiscent of Logic 9. The text fader on the right is true to the Logic 10 palette selection.

( I think MIDI instrument objects also retain the Logic 9 brightness, judging from the cable hues.)

1035606146_ColorDiscrepancy10.0.3.jpg.ccaa0a3554ec44149bb3f7bd1acf32f5.jpg