L10: Where did the high pass filter go?

MikeShapiro

Had a quick look/listen, and the single band lo cut sounds the same to me as the old high pass filter, when set to appropriate settings - with the benefit of being able to specify how steep the filter is.

What exactly does the low cut not do for you that the high pass does? Maybe I'm missing something obvious..? You say this cannot replace the high pass, but it seems to me it can do everything the high pass does (and more) and sounds the same (or at least similar, haven't done exhaustive comparisons or anything), so.. :shrugs:

I think the reason the old plugins included a low cut and a high pass is that the filter steepness characteristics where different between the two - the new plugin gives you a tailored slope so you can do both with the one plugin (same for the high cut/lo pass) - no need to have a ton of different plugins for the different options when you can do it all in one, I guess...

>What exactly does the low cut not do for you that the high pass does?

This was my actual question. If you say the Low Cut does the same as High Pass, I'll be more or less happy.

I guess I'm nervous in the same way that I would be if Logic dropped the "bounce" function and replaced it with something called "imprint your creativity!". There's no reason to remove a fundamental tool that everyone uses every day, even if only by name.