Can I get your advice on a section of my latest track?

micjames6

Hey,

I'm just starting (as of today) learning how to mix so this is probably a really stupid question.

I've got 3 different synths producing the following sound.

[soundcloud]http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/102709027%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-7fd9k[/soundcloud]

To me, it sounds like they are starting to mush together. Any thoughts on how I can make each seem a little clearer?

If you want to see what my EQ for each Synth is then see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58997133@N06/sets/72157634805253540/

All the best,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike, I just joined these forums and there are probably more experienced opinions than mine, but I've put in many many hours mixing stuff, in Logic and Sonar, and other gadgets.... My first cd was WAY overproduced/mixed, in retrospect, and once I started using Logic (I'm still only using Logic Express but it is wonderful to me) and had some time between my first cd and my current one, the biggest thing I decided was to keep the soundscape simple. For the sake of songwriting efficiency; for not getting bogged down in endless decisions; for avoiding ear fatigue; and for giving the listener distinct things to hang their ears on and make the tune memorable. From your tune, I can hear how you are (I gather) layering the synths, but it sounds like they are all more or less playing the same notes, with some EQ variations, right? If I were you and you really want to use multiple synths to play an identical note line, I would make sure to

1- pan the different synths to obvious places in the soundstage

2- give each one something really distinct from the other (EQ, note harmonies, something)

I did a similar thing with a tune just recently, but with each new verse, I added a very distinct (I hope) new synth sound, even though they were all playing the same lines verse to verse. Sometimes they come in subtly, but if you listen for them they're easily audible. Final piece of advice, get loose and experiment! Try making the synths drastically different from eachother, and them bring them back closer, and so on. Also, after you've spent 5 hours mixing something, till your ears are numb, shut it down and then go listen to the track again in a day or two. Take a nice long break. You will be amazed at how different things will sound to you over a span of time. Enough blab. Keep at it, get educated, and you'll be turning out great stuff. All the best,

Compress each synth independently, if not sure about compression use the preset that you feel most comfortable with. Sometimes compression is hard to hear if your not acclimated to the sound of compression, so while playing with the different setting go extreme with the threshold and the ratio (this will give you an idea of what the processor is doing and how it sounds, but will not be useful for the final sound of your synth more of an ear training).

Also use auto-pan on one or more of the synth tracks (don't make the overall spread to wide, and don't make the movement too fast).

Try the auto-pan first because this is easier to hear, and play with compressor as much as possible if you have not already (just remember most of the time less is more with compression). Auto pan works great for popping a track out in a mix it just takes a little love to get it so the movement doesn't distract you from the actual synth sound.

Archived