Left-clicking in piano roll window brings up contextual menu

shadowmusic

This has been driving me nuts and I'm hoping somebody has an answer...

In the piano roll, simply left-clicking in the window (not on a note) keeps bringing up the contextual menu as if I'm right-clicking...

I'm a long-time Logic user and I've always dragged the mouse around inside the window to select multiple notes, and now I can't do this simple function because the menu keeps popping up.

At first I thought this was a weird change that was made in Logic X, because I noticed that the manual talks about selecting multiple notes by clicking on the keyboard on the left, but that doesn't make any sense because you need to select certain areas far more often than all the same notes in the region.

But then one day, I was able to click inside the window just like I have been able to for all those years. This makes me wonder if there's some new preference setting that I accidentally turned on or off, or if this is simply a bug that happens sporadically.

Would much appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mac Pro Intel late-2009 24GB RAM

Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Logic Pro X 10.0.0

Hi,

trying to help shadowmusic I think I discovered another strang thing in piano roll...

Right click (in piano roll) does absolutely nothing IF I choose "Opens tool Menu" from the drop down menu in preferences/General/Editing "Right mouse Button".

strange! It working fine in LP9

Thank you, David. The trashing of preferences worked. I had thought about doing this anyway but was weary, since I still have old sessions I need to open with Logic 9 (mostly for 32 bit bridge) and didn't want to mess up the L9 settings while I try to do a clean start with LPX. Taking your advice, I first tried just trashing the Logic10 pref files but that didn't fix the problem, so I dumped the other three (Logic.pro) pref files and that fixed it. I would still like to know what may have caused this but I'm glad this behavior is gone.

By the way, related to powerMac LE's post, when I had this behavior and I tried setting the right click to open tools, that would make the left and the right clicks both not function at all in the Piano Roll (which makes sense, given what my system was doing and the known bug). Just FYI, in case this comes up as an issue in the future.

This was driving me crazy. So thanks so much for the help, David!

And... it's happening again... :( It was fine when I trashed all the preferences for a while but when I started LPX again after closing down the computer and starting again later in the day, it loaded the last project I had opened (which must be the default, since my pref before asked) and the same thing happens in the piano roll editor. Now I'm lost. The only thing I did that could be related (even though I fail to see how it can be related) is that I imported my key commands from before, which the brand new preference didn't do. But when I initially did this after trashing the pref files, the piano roll was behaving fine during that whole time Logic was open. Help...?

UPDATE:

Although the exact issue is still a mystery to me, I am suspecting that the problem may be related to my Wacom Tablet. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have a Wacom connected to the computer but it didn't cross my mind that it could be related. I have a Bamboo Capture and occasionally, when this problem happens, it gets resolved once I turn "Touch" off and then back on again. But sometimes this doesn't fix it even after repeated attempts, and then at some point, after trying it again, it starts to behave properly. To clarify, it's never been only when using the bamboo. I also have a trackball connected and the behavior was the same left-clicking on the trackball. But I suppose the tablet being connect at all could have been causing it. I'd like to find out if this is a known issue and if Logic can somehow deal with it (as I have never had problems with the tablet - not to mention the fact that it's still weird this only happens in the piano roll editor).

Anyways, just providing the info in case anybody else comes across this problem. Thanks for all the input.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man I thought I was going crazy, but I was having this EXACT same issue.

I have a lot of non-apple peripherals attached to my iMac via USB (non-apple keyboard & mouse), but NOT a Wacom Tablet.

I have apparently solved it (for now) by:

1) Unplugged ALL 3rd party usb devices -- in my case, this was an Apogee Duet, Wired Keyboard, wired mouse, Wireless macro mouse, usb headset and an xbox 360 controller :)

2) Plugged in my wired Apple Keyboard and turned on my Magic Trackpad

3) Quit, Re-opened logic, launched the project which I was having the issue with, and saw that the issue had disappeared.

4) Quit Logic, and plugged in all my 3rd party devices, one at a time, and reopening logic to see if the issue would start occuring with any of the devices.

Strangely, after reconnecting all my devices, I cannot get the problem to re-occur.

There must have just been some strange conflict between the devices??

The only thing thats unsettling about the issue is that it ONLY occurred in the Piano Roll...not the main window, or any other window in LPX.

strange

• 1 month later...

hello...

I've got a problem with my LPX(.0.3) and I thought if anyone has encountered (and found a solution) yet...

in a piano roll window(P), a cursor is stuck with like as if being right clicked(an option window pops up)

wherever click inside the piano roll and you can't select any MIDI notes...

(unless you select from menu or press a piano key or directly click on it)

I found someone posted the cursor issue like it doesn't show as it should be

but in this case, not just shows up... it is showing as a cursor.. but it behaves as right clicked...

doesn't happen in any other windows as far as I know...

I don't know how I do.. LPX restart / project reopen don't work... but sometimes it goes away suddenly..

and I appreciate if anyone knows the solution...

thank you :)

1730397194_ScreenShot2013-09-25at8_39_25PM.thumb.png.f04689e5bf4afc0c326f2f81adb53ad8.png

1500226435_ScreenShot2013-09-25at8_39_37PM.thumb.png.6c55f69dc5712cfb7ae2df8b77f64ddb.png

(why no one answers...)

In my last answer to the OP I suggested a procedure to try, but the OP hasn't reported back. If you want, try the procedure I suggested, and report back?

thanks to skylerdavid, there seems to be a solution...

for now, worked for me...(a reply from skylerdavid in this thread)

Great! Good to hear. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having this problem - has anyone found any other fix? i've tried trashing prefs, disconnecting all my drives/mice/tablets/keyboards/dongles (everything but my apple keyboard and the old mighty mouse!), then both at once with a restart... nothing is working.

I should probably stop complaining and just forget about logic, i've heard there are developers out there who make programs that work... Think i have one last attempt in me before i track bounce all my WIPs and move elsewhere

• 4 weeks later...
hi david, when i go to the preferences folder, i dont see a com.apple.logic.pref.. any idea? I am also getting the left click as right click issue and im going crazy. can't highlight midi notes

You're probably looking in the wrong folder. Hold down Option on your keyboard as you choose Go > Library in the Finder, and inside the Library, look inside the Preferences folder. Logic cannot run without a pref file, so if you've used Logic on that machine using that account, there is a preference file at that location.

hi david, when i go to the preferences folder, i dont see a com.apple.logic.pref.. any idea? I am also getting the left click as right click issue and im going crazy. can't highlight midi notes

You're probably looking in the wrong folder. Hold down Option on your keyboard as you choose Go > Library in the Finder, and inside the Library, look inside the Preferences folder. Logic cannot run without a pref file, so if you've used Logic on that machine using that account, there is a preference file at that location.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Turns out my library folder was missing and I was looking for the preferences in the main HD folder. Nonetheless, I deleted the pref file but I'm still experiencing the same problem. I did discover a quick fix. By opening an old logic pro 9 file through LPX, the left click issue resolved itself. However when I reboot and open again, LPX still has the same problem. So I tried doing the method described above again, but this time it didnt work. I then rebooted one more time to see if it would work and this time was a success like the 1st attempt. Any idea whats up? I just came into the studio today and I'm getting the same issue, left click not working. This has been a nightmare.

Another piano roll issue, I don't know if it would be related. Right clicking in the midi draw area makes all notes disappear. Happens every time, and they aren't deleted, they just aren't shown unless I go back to the arrange window and click that region again. Anyone else seeing that?

Another piano roll issue, I don't know if it would be related. Right clicking in the midi draw area makes all notes disappear. Happens every time, and they aren't deleted, they just aren't shown unless I go back to the arrange window and click that region again. Anyone else seeing that?

My buddy who just upgraded to LPX had that same issue. I figured since were all suffering from piano roll issues, I told him to try deleting his pref files and it ended up working. LPX seems so buggy :\. I hope theres an update soon that fixes all these patches... till then I have to use Live 9 and not liking the interface as much. Might as well brand me with the apple logo :|

After a few hours of madness, I eventually figured it out. I'm currently using a g500 logitech mouse. Seems the pref settings from the mouse dont work too well on a mac. I also have a magic trackpad. As soon as I turn on the trackpad, I experience no issues. I'm guessing this is more of a mouse issue than a bug issue. Hope this helps some of yall.

I have the same mousepointer-behaviour in the pianoroll-window as Shadowmusic. I have a Wacom tablet connected (Intous 5 touch). I solved it by simply activating a magic trackpad that was lying around - while Logic was running. Suddenly the mouse was back to normal again - also when using the tablet. After turning the trackpad of/ quitting and restarting Logic everything is still okay.

• 3 months later...

Hi, today I started having this exact same issue -- left-clicking in piano roll brings up the context menu -- and it's driving me nuts.

Tried trashing Logic prefs, but it didn't make any difference.

I use a Wacom tablet with a pen as my main pointing device; I can't use a mouse due to RSI. But I've been using Wacoms for 15 years, and in all this time no application has ever got left-click/right-click mixed up... until now! And even now it's only the Piano Roll within Logic that's doing this, nothing else. Even other parts of Logic are behaving normally.

It doesn't make any difference if I try the Wacom mouse vs. Wacom Pen on my Wacom tablet -- they both behave in the same crazy way; left clicking in the piano roll brings up the context menu.

It means I can't draw a marquee to select multiple notes. Incredibly frustrating. I don't have any other pointing devices I can try with.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I managed to dig out the Apple Magic Trackpad that came with my iMac, put some batteries in it, enable bluetooth - and voilà! Not only does left-clicking in the piano roll with the Trackpad itself behave as expected, but it also now behaves correctly on my normal pointing device, the Wacom tablet.

So it seems that, as others have mentioned above, simply connecting/using an Apple pointing device somehow tricks Logic into handling the non-Apple pointing device correctly in the piano roll area. Furthermore, it continues to work even after disabling bluetooth, restarting Logic, and logging out and back in to OS X.

However - if I reboot the Mac, then the problem comes back. So, for the time being, I need to keep my Magic Trackpad handy in a drawer nearby, so that I can use it in the event of a reboot.

Edited by Lux

I've filed a bug report at http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html.

Subject: Left-clicking in Piano Roll area incorrectly brings up context menu

Feedback Type: Bug report

Which version of Logic are you using? Logic Pro 10.0.6

Comments:

An annoying bug has recently appeared in Logic Pro X.

When I left-click on the Piano Roll area, the context menu pops up - Logic behaves as if as I'm right-clicking, even though I'm left-clicking.

No other parts of Logic (e.g. Arrange area) behave like this, and no other apps behave like this. Just the Piano Roll area in Logic.

A workaround is to connect an Apple pointing device such as a Magic Trackpad. After doing this, my main pointing device starts behaving normally in the Piano Roll - and continues to even after disconnecting the Trackpad.

After a reboot, the problem comes back.

Here's a thread in LogicProHelp which shows that other people are having the same issue:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97872

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...