Best Logic Pro X training / courses?

fearofbirds

Hi,

I am a beginner and just bought Logic Pro X. I have never used the software before, though I have used Ableton Live 8 and Protools a little bit.

I am hoping to do some training or a short course in using Logic Pro X. I am in Melbourne, Australia, and can't find any training out there. I am wondering whether anyone knows of anything, whether in Melbourne or online, that would be worth investing in.

I know there are videos on Lynda.com and Macprovideo.com, but it doesn't look like they have much on the new version X.

Thanks in advance!

We are currently working on the certification curriculum and the corresponding Logic Pro X Apple Pro Training Series book, but that will take a few months, so meanwhile as Jamie said there will be no Apple certification training available on Logic Pro X.

However that doesn't mean there are no classes on Logic Pro X. We have already scheduled two classes, one three day beginner/intermediate class on september 13-15, 2013, and one intermediate/advanced on electronic and dance music production on september 28-29. I made an announcement here or you can look directly at our class page, however as of this writing the curriculums are still being rewritten so you won't see the updated Logic Pro X curriculums yet on the class pages.

We are also working on a one day Logic Pro X "primer" class for september 7th, 2013, that will be addressed to all intermediate/advanced Logic Pro users, meaning people who already knew Logic Pro 9 really well or for example attended a Logic 101 class with Logic 9 but want to update their knowledge and learn what's new in Logic Pro X.

I know you're in Australia, but consider a trip to Los Angeles - you won't be our first student to fly halfway around the globe just to attend one of our classes! I've had students fly from Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, China, Korea etc... :D

Let me know if you have any further questions on our Logic trainings.

Hi,

I know there are videos on Lynda.com and Macprovideo.com, but it doesn't look like they have much on the new version X.

Thanks in advance!

Hi fearofbirds,

Full disclosure: I work for macProVideo.com - so just to let you know we released 6 video courses (about 7 hours worth of training) covering the new features the day Logic Pro X was released... and we have plenty more LPX courses in production :-)

I'd definitely recommend attending David's course in LA too! You can roll it into a Logic training holiday fest! :)

We are also working on a one day Logic Pro X "primer" class for september 7th, 2013, that will be addressed to all intermediate/advanced Logic Pro users, meaning people who already knew Logic Pro 9 really well or for example attended a Logic 101 class with Logic 9 but want to update their knowledge and learn what's new in Logic Pro X..

I'll be in LA in the first week of November - do you have plans to offer the course then? I would love to be able to take advantage of it when I'm in town.

cheers -

kc

Also, I can recommend the MacProVideo videos. They are done really well and very informative. I have most, if not all of LogicPro 9 videos and have revisited them to brush up. I haven't gotten any of the LPX ones yet - but have watched them online. Very high quality.

cheers -

kc

Hey David, how much does it matter which version of logic I have my master pro cert in? I got mine less than a year ago, should I worry about getting the next one when it's available?

Typically Apple expires certification a few months after a new upgrade is available. Meaning since Logic Pro X was available since July 16th 2013, chances are that Apple will expire Logic 9 certifications for example January 16th 2014. Meaning after that date, you can no longer say that you are Apple Certified unless you re-certify for Logic Pro X.

I hope that answered your question?

I'll be in LA in the first week of November - do you have plans to offer the course then? I would love to be able to take advantage of it when I'm in town.

Hello KC,

I can't say for sure but right now we don't have any plans of offering the one-day "primer" class again. We usually do that class once only after the new upgrade is out, and we're planning to do one on Saturday September 7th, but no other plans after that. If the class is very successful and many people want another date then we may schedule another one in October or November - but right now that's not in the plans.

Hello KC,

I can't say for sure but right now we don't have any plans of offering the one-day "primer" class again. We usually do that class once only after the new upgrade is out, and we're planning to do one on Saturday September 7th, but no other plans after that. If the class is very successful and many people want another date then we may schedule another one in October or November - but right now that's not in the plans.

Ok. Too bad for me. I don't suppose you would consider taping it and making it available as a paid download?

cheers -

kc

Ok. Too bad for me. I don't suppose you would consider taping it and making it available as a paid download?

I haven't considered that... but that's an idea...

Hi David,

I'm really glad KC asked that question and even happier to see that, at the very least, you seem to find it intriguing.

That would be extremely helpful to me anyway. Although I'm just a hop & skip away through the desert (I live in Las Vegas), 2013 has been a year of reschooling & training for me and, frankly, I'm almost broke. Two trips to L.A. in mid and late-September is kind of, just about do-able but three, including a LPX primer earlier in the month...not so much. Thanks.

Russell

Hi Russel, I find it intriguing but I wouldn't want you to get false hopes: honestly the chances are very low that this will happen. This idea has come up many times but unfortunately it's harder than it seems to offer something of quality, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

However you'd only have to make a single trip to L.A.:

• If you're new to Logic or need a solid brush up of your foundations, then come to the 3 day class.

• If you already attended a Logic 101 class or have a solid equivalent knowledge (for example you went through my Logic 9 book and you feel like you really master all the material in the book), then come to the one day primer class.

It would not make sense to come to both the primer class and the 3-day class as a lot of the material would be redundant.

Hope that helps.

Hey David, how much does it matter which version of logic I have my master pro cert in? I got mine less than a year ago, should I worry about getting the next one when it's available?

Typically Apple expires certification a few months after a new upgrade is available. Meaning since Logic Pro X was available since July 16th 2013, chances are that Apple will expire Logic 9 certifications for example January 16th 2014. Meaning after that date, you can no longer say that you are Apple Certified unless you re-certify for Logic Pro X.

I hope that answered your question?

Thank you, that answers my question. If I want to re-certify, do I have to take the logic 101 and 201 classes again or can I just study up and take the master pro exam?

Changes are currently being made to the Apple Certification program so we'll only know once it's made official by Apple.

For Logic 9 it was possible to go to an Apple Authorized Training Center to take a test only (without having to be enrolled in a class), so my best guess is that they will probably continue that model.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

At the "op" fearofbirds:

I can highly recommend the video courses at groove3.com:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Logic-Pro-X-Explained.html

Video training the way it should be done!

Hugo

P.S. I am in no way affiliated, just a very satisfied customer!

+1.

Eli's tutorials are amazing!. For 15$/month it's a steal!. There's also 1h tutorial of Flex Pitch.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the props. I am also currently working on a short Logic MIDI FX series that should be completed fairly soon.

If any one is interested, and if it is okay with David, I can post a summary and short description of each of the topics covered in Logic Pro X Explained.

Eli Krantzberg

All, this will seem a very elementary question, but I'm not well-versed in the biz - what are the benefits of being Apple Certified in Logic? Is it basically something you put on your resumé to make you more marketable in the music production business? Does Apple offer any specific benefits to those certified?

Thanks.

I've got one for you :)

I live in Brisbane Australia, and finding a Pro training course is generally impossible.

I have the books in 9, but working my way through them by myself is difficult at home with distractions.

I am a High School music teacher and my students and I use Logic as our professional program.

If there is any way I can find out where there is training near me, that would be awesome (it is not easy to find on the Apple website)

I would love to get certified, I work my way (albeit slowly) through various course and sites (audiotuts and macprovideo)

Looking forward to the new book!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Russel, I find it intriguing but I wouldn't want you to get false hopes...

...unfortunately it's harder than it seems to offer something of quality, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hi David, thanks for your quick reply and for taking a moment to outline reasonable options concerning the September class schedule. Your commitment to maintaining quality is obvious by this online community, and it's at the core of what keeps me coming back here and recommending this forum over & over.

And a quick shoutout to Eli Krantzberg:

...I am also currently working on a short Logic MIDI FX series...

If any one is interested, and if it is okay with David, I can post a summary and short description of each of the topics covered in Logic Pro X Explained.

I'm definitely interested in the Logic MIDI FX series. Also, a summary of Logic Pro X Explained - or a link to the summary elsewhere - would also be appreciated.

I'm currently watching "Logic (7) Environment Explored" by Martin Sitter on macprovideo. I'm concerned that Apple's tidying up of Logic X for the masses will result in fewer opportunities for me to have guided learning of the Environment in detail. I'd really like to learn the E inside out. As it is, the Tut I'm watching is from Logic 7.

Might you - or anyone reading this - have suggestions for finding that kind of info?

Your tutorials really are very well done. You got me up & running and, most importantly, confident with Kontakt a few years back. :-)

Russell

I'm definitely interested in the Logic MIDI FX series. Also, a summary of Logic Pro X Explained - or a link to the summary elsewhere - would also be appreciated.

Russell

Hi Russell,

The MIDI FX videos were just released today. You can find them here:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Logic-Pro-X-MIDI-Plug-Ins-Explained.html

David, is it okay to post the descriptions of my Logic Pro X Explained videos here? I'm not sure if that goes against forum guidelines.

Eli

Eli, maybe just a link to the descriptions would be enough?

Sure. Here is a link to the product page:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Logic-Pro-X-Explained.html...

Eli

Thanks for the reply & info, Eli. I just bought a month of Groove 3 access and I'm starting the LPX Explained course this morning.

I just noticed you've also done tuts for Trilian and FXPansion's Tremor, both of which I really like & use often but no one would ever mistake me for an expert. Got my first month just about planned out right there!

Russell

Archived