Moving Logic's library to 2nd drive via 'Alias'?

stikygum

Note: My MBP has 2 internal drives, one SSD and one HDD (7200rpm).

I have a few questions. I downloaded Logic X and all of it's content and I just barely had enough room on my hard drive to download it all (as I didn't see an option to download to an external drive). I'm out of space, so I want to move all of Logic's big files from my main SSD to my 2nd internal HDD drive. All of Logic X's files are located in the pathing: Hard Drive (SSD) -> Library -> Application Support -> Logic, correct?

To make sure I'm doing this right, once I click on 'Make Alias' for my Logic folder, I can then drag the original Logic folder to the 2nd hard drive, (and once it's done copying) I can delete the Logic folder on my main hard drive?

I also noticed that some files in the new Logic folder doesn't include some files from LP9 like 'Chord Grids', 'Key Commands', 'Tuning Tables'. Should I drag those over to the Logic folder on my 2nd hard drive (or are they already somewhere in Logic X)?

So if I have the procedure down correctly, once I do all this, will I need to go into Logic's preferences or anything and redefine the Folder pathing so Logic can locate all the files in the new location?

All of Logic X's files are located in the pathing: Hard Drive (SSD) -> Library -> Application Support -> Logic, correct?

No.

There are a lot of instruments inside /Library/Application Support/GarageBand

and

You have a bunch of Apple Loops inside /Library/Audio/Apple Loops

I would start by moving the Apple Loops if I was you. Much less hassle then the other folders.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize Logic uses Garageband files. Though I'm not completely sure I understand why it's a hassle to move the Application Support/Logic and Garagband folders. I think I have the same specs as your MBP (which I just updated my profile on this forum) and for the most part copying a bunch of GB over to my 2nd internal drive doen't take too long.

Once I move the folders after setting up the Aliases, will I need to reset the preferences or library pathing in Logic?

I hope I have the 'Alias' procedure correct, as I've made Alias before and messed it. I think part of it was that I didn't set the pathing in my software synths and drum programs, so they couldn't find where the samples were.

Has anyone used Symbolic links, aka Symlinks? I heard they can be better than Aliases as can sometimes not work with certain files, whereas Symlinks most always work.

Will I encounter any issues if I move the whole Logic and Garageband folders ( in the folders: /Library/Application Support/Logic or /Library/Application Support/GarageBand ) ? I guess the main thing I'm hoping is that by moving these folders doesn't move anything else in Logic that shouldn't be moved. The Apple Loops folder seem like it should be no problem moving as it's mainly samples only.

Archived