LogicProX - Should I upgrade or wait? Active Users Feedback

logicproguy

OK thinking about upgrading, but I have some questions for users that are actively using LOGICX for the experience users in the application. Please answer the following questions and try to be honest in your response. People that new to logic studio and X should not respond to this, but listen. This post is directed for people that work directly with the application over a 8+ years and understand it's functionality in great detail. Please do not rephrase your questions if you are affiliated with apple or use it's question to promote other objectives. Please be very honest and clear with your response.

1. Is logic X worth the cost of upgrading? In a short paragraph why?

2. Has sound quality improved or stayed the same?

3. Are there any problems migrating or opening up previous songs where you experience glitches or bugs?

How long have you been using logicX now and what is your overall option with it? What features make it a must upgrade? What don't you like about it?

1. It depends on how much you need the new stuff.

2. the same, but you will get more audio glitches that comes from GUI.

3. It seems to work ok, but there is a bug that may screw up your volumes when using sends and auxes.

Been using it for 2 weeks now, I like the track stacks idea, but unfortunately it´s not 100% implemented as good as it could have been, you can only have one level of tracks stacks, ie you cant make a track stack inside a track stack, so for group and sub-group routings its a little bit limited, at least for pure audio routing/mixing purposes.

The drummer is really fantastic if you need good "real" drums. MIDI FX is awesome.

Personally I am going to stay with Logic 9 for now, because I feel L9 is more robust and less gimmicky somehow. I create almost all my content outside the box and do not use software instruments much, so i´m not really going to miss the new synths and the drummer. I will miss the better audio waveform display and flex-pitch though.

For the songwriter I´m sure LPX is a godsend, i just don´t feel it talking to me(producer/engineer), it gives me a somewhat claustrophobic feeling compared to the openness of L9. Will fiddle with it though from time to time.

Good topic. I'm in the same boat as the op, not yet convinced that the update is worth the hassle. Claesbjo, thank you for your review, I will be probably getting Logic X by late fall but for now I will continue building my studio. I just finished buying a couple of Warm audio WA12's and just love them, they add that sparkle to my acoustic recordings that's always been missing. One thing I must say about Logic X is that it is certainly very affordable for everyone that has a decent mac!

Things i don't like:

-You can't reverse region on arrenge. If you want to do this you need to create copy of the region, open it on wave editor and then reverse it. On most DAWs it's just a key command.

-Bounce in Place hasn't changed. You can't bounce region on a channel to same channel, without overwriting whole track. So, if you want to bounce region, you need to create new track, do a bounce in place and select the new track where you want your bounce to go. On most DAWs it's cmd+b.

These features has been untouched from version 9, at least to my knowledge.

OK thinking about upgrading, but I have some questions for users that are actively using LOGICX for the experience users in the application. Please answer the following questions and try to be honest in your response. People that new to logic studio and X should not respond to this, but listen. This post is directed for people that work directly with the application over a 8+ years and understand it's functionality in great detail. Please do not rephrase your questions if you are affiliated with apple or use it's question to promote other objectives. Please be very honest and clear with your response.

1. Is logic X worth the cost of upgrading? In a short paragraph why?

2. Has sound quality improved or stayed the same?

3. Are there any problems migrating or opening up previous songs where you experience glitches or bugs?

How long have you been using logicX now and what is your overall option with it? What features make it a must upgrade? What don't you like about it?

With so much demands i want a nice bottle of wine to answer it....

Things i don't like:

-Bounce in Place hasn't changed. You can't bounce region on a channel to same channel, without overwriting whole track. So, if you want to bounce region, you need to create new track, do a bounce in place and select the new track where you want your bounce to go. On most DAWs it's cmd+b.

You can bounce in place on the same channel (both in 9 and X)

Make sure your track is selected, marquee the section you want to bounce in place instead of selecting the region. Hit BIP, and you will get the "selected track" available. NOTE: you have to make the marquee selection not exactly the length of the region. It must be a little longer or shorter. Not sure why, but it´s no biggie.

Things i don't like:

You can bounce in place on the same channel (both in 9 and X)

Make sure your track is selected, marquee the section you want to bounce in place instead of selecting the region. Hit BIP, and you will get the "selected track" available. NOTE: you have to make the marquee selection not exactly the length of the region. It must be a little longer or shorter. Not sure why, but it´s no biggie.

Interesting. It seems when i'm trying to do 'bounce in region in place' i have 'selected track' option greyed out. Probably doing something wrong..