Sustain Pedal Problems with Logic Pro [SOLVED]

Singularity

I have previously used Logic Pro 9 and have now upgraded to Logic Pro X.

I have never been able to get my sustain pedal to work within Logic Pro (both versions 9 and 10)

I have used Snoize and the midi signal from the sustain pedal is being sent.

I know that the sustain pedal works, but alas not within Logic Pro

i can't tell anything about LPX, but with several versions of Logic including C-LAB's Notator, Logic 2.x and Pro 9.1.8 my sustain pedals never didn't work...

What does this "Snoize" thing tell you exactly? And how about Logic's MIDI inspector (in Logic 9 this can be found within the Transport window or bar)? Is your sustain pedal a switch (on-off, standard) or does it continuously output the exact position of the pedal (which might not work with most synths)?

Sustain (CC 64) is a non-continuous controller. It's a switch, on or off, 0 or 127. There are continuous "pedal" controllers that look and act like an accelerator pedal of a car. These are often used for volume control, particularly of an organ sound.

Is there any evidence in Logic that it the sustain CC 64 is being received? If recorded, it would be in the Event List. If received, it could appear in a Monitor in Environment. And it probably would appear in the Transport MIDI In during live play.

Newly created Software Instrument tracks default to the electric piano, and that defaults to a sustain set to CC 64. In fact, 64 to sustain is about as universal a setting as MIDI gets, so I'm curious why it isn't working.

Let us know if you find out.

Sustain (CC 64) is a non-continuous controller. It's a switch, on or off, 0 or 127. There are continuous "pedal" controllers that look and act like an accelerator pedal of a car. These are often used for volume control, particularly of an organ sound.

Sustain was meant to be a switch with the two values you mentioned, but technically it doesn't have to since you can send any value with CC 64 as you can with any MIDI CC number. In fact Modartt's Pianoteq accepts any value from "not pressed" = 0 to "fully pressed" = 127 and acts like a real piano does when you press its sustain pedal halfway or any-way. I'm quite sure there are sustain-pedal-like continuous controllers out there.

Well, the OP wrote their pedal gives 0 and 127 only, so this part should be fine. Is the CC number the right one (64)?

Is there any evidence in Logic that it the sustain CC 64 is being received? If recorded, it would be in the Event List. If received, it could appear in a Monitor in Environment. And it probably would appear in the Transport MIDI In during live play.

This is the important part, I think... What about Logic's own Monitors/Inspectors/Displays?

"... technically it doesn't have to since you can send any value with CC 64 as you can with any MIDI CC number."

You are correct, sir. I should have said that the old school sustain hardware is a switch, not the CC itself. I believe the latest version of the piano software "Ivory" has half-pedal sustain samples.

Logic does treat CC 64 differently though, in that when you pencil in HyperDraw (now MIDI Draw), CC 64 steps to the next value. Other CC's ramp to the next value. Just curious as to why that is.

Yes I've now enabled Custom LCD and can see the midi events.

The sustain pedal is being picked up but have no effect.

OK - sure it is MIDI Control Change #64? What Instrument are you using that should be affected by the sustain pedal? Can you record the pedal events?

I have the sustain pedal plugged into an M-Audio Oxygen 88 keyboard.

When I press the pedal the display shows the midi event 'l 66 127'

When I take my foot off there pedal the display shows the midi event 'l 66 0'

Under the Window Menu I have opened the Event LIst.

When I record the notes I play are shown in the Event List

When I press the sustain pedal it is also shown in the event list

[...] When I press the pedal the display shows the midi event 'l 66 127'

When I take my foot off there pedal the display shows the midi event 'l 66 0'

So you found the answer yourself. "66" is the wrong Control Change number, you need 64. Set up your Oxygen 88 Keyboard in order to get CC64, or use a transformer within Logic to convert the CC number.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well…

I've already asked this. On facebook someone answered me but it's not working. The suggestion was to unplug the pedal from the keyboard, full press the pedal and plug the cable again while pressing. I really don't know what more I can do. I had this same problem with my old Roland A-33 and the Roland sustain pedal. Now the same situation with other equipment, a Korg Triton Taktile with a M-Audio SP-1 switch pedal. There is just a very little position on the switch that transmits the 127 value, somewhere in the middle of the pedal course. The same was happening with the Roland one and it was not a switch.

Could any of you guys help me, please?

TIA