Logic's meters, what scale?

Tarekith

I usually use Inspector XL in K-14 mode for critical metering, so I'm well covered there. Just annoying seeing Logic's meters saying the signal is 3.5dB but not clipping. Looks like it clips at 6dB then?

I'm used to working in dBFS scales, not used to seeing a digital meter scaled like it was a PPM.

Logic's aren't though, that's my issue. If I play back an audio file I know is -0.2dBFS, Logic's meter is showing me the file is 3.3 on it's meter.

My question, is 3.3 WHAT? I'm just curious what Logic is really showing me with that number above the fader in the Arrange View.

I just generated a pink noise sample in Wavelab, with a level of 0dFS. If I load this on an audio track in Logic, and make sure all my channels are set to 0 (no sends, effects, busses or anything else in the Environment), I still get readings of 3 in Logic's channel strip.

I admit I'm new to Logic, but I can't see where I'm getting an additional 3dB of attenuation if Logic's meters are really measuring dbFS.

Here's a screen shot, those are the only three items in my Environment:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1984/picture2ny9.jpg