Send control change automation to plugin instruments?

MikeShapiro

I'm curious if one can send modulation (etc) automation to a plugin instrument. It doesn't seem that the option is offered in the same way that it is for a MIDI track. I'm using a Vienna Instruments AU plugin and only seem to be able to set Volume, Solo, Pan, Mute, Send(s), and Bypass automation curves. The plugin is looking for control changes (internally), and it's not clear how I can get that information to it.

Thanks-in-advance-as-always,

Mike

Choose View > Automation. At the top of your automation parameter menu (the one on the track), you should see "Main" (and inside, choices of Solo, Mute, insert bypass...) and right below, a list of the plug-ins inserted on that track. The first one should be the instrument plug-in (on a software instrument track). Inside the folder are all the automatable parameters for that plug-in.

To find a parameter quickly, I just put the track in touch mode, tweak the parameter a little bit, and it jumps into view, ready to be edited graphically.

Choose View > Automation. At the top of your automation parameter menu (the one on the track), you should see "Main" (and inside, choices of Solo, Mute, insert bypass...) and right below, a list of the plug-ins inserted on that track. The first one should be the instrument plug-in (on a software instrument track). Inside the folder are all the automatable parameters for that plug-in.

To find a parameter quickly, I just put the track in touch mode, tweak the parameter a little bit, and it jumps into view, ready to be edited graphically.

Strangely, there's nothing listed for this particular plugin. (The Vienna Instruments AU.) But I see those parameters if I use EXS24 or another instrument plugin. Maybe Vienna didn't implement their plugin to spec?

I think that MIDI CC automation of audio instruments works basically the same way as for MIDI tracks, ie. by using Hyper Draw. Did you try that?

That'll do object-based automation (the old stuff), but not the new track-based automation. The latter is what I was hoping to use.

Michael, you do know that region based automation can be moved to track based automation right?

I think that MIDI CC automation of audio instruments works basically the same way as for MIDI tracks, ie. by using Hyper Draw. Did you try that?

That'll do object-based automation (the old stuff), but not the new track-based automation. The latter is what I was hoping to use.

Michael, you do know that region based automation can be moved to track based automation right?

Interesting idea. I tried it, and an option was added to the automation menu called "1 unused". I suspect it won't be functional with the Vienna Instrument plugin. It seems like the plugin wasn't really designed to spec.