Score Editor Multi Bar Rest Question

composer26

Is there a way to automatically tell Logic to treat multiple, consecutive, empty measures as a multi bar rest?

I am aware that you can drag in a multi bar rest (or apple click) anywhere you want, however this is somewhat problematic when you are creating 30 separate parts!

I would assume this is some kind of staff style thing, or perhaps a global setting. Please advise.

Thanks!

Is there a way to automatically tell Logic to treat multiple, consecutive, empty measures as a multi bar rest?

I am aware that you can drag in a multi bar rest (or apple click) anywhere you want, however this is somewhat problematic when you are creating 30 separate parts!

I would assume this is some kind of staff style thing, or perhaps a global setting. Please advise.

Thanks!

No, you have to enter them manually.

Thanks!

No, you have to enter them manually.

Further advice:

Learn to be a fast clicker with the pencil tool:)

Seriously, the only help is that in my template's insrtument sets, if a while section is resting, I can enter them in i.e. all the brass parts simultaneously by selecting them all and holding the shift key.

A tip: Before you enter them save a version for parts and then another for full score as you will not want the multirests in the full score as they can screw things up big time.

A special thanks to Jay for all of his terrific help!

I've tried using the shift-click method with the multi bar rests and it has saved me quite a lot of time.

Admit tingly, I would prefer a global command, such as in Cubase 4, however Logic Pro's myriad other features more than make up the difference.

Stevenson had the following insights!

"there is no way to automatically create multi-bar rests (would be nice though) but it is not problematic with 30 parts at all. simply use the multi-insert in full score (linear or page view) by holding down shift as you insert the multi rest and with consecutive staves selected (they should be blue). you could theoretically insert 30 multi-bar rests with just one click.

in general the best method for preparing score and parts is that you should:

- edit your parts first either individually or in sections by selecting the staves and using 'create instrument set from selection'.

- as you go, you should be creating an instrument set for each individual part. that way you can format each of the parts independently.

- once you have finished editing the parts, you can then print them to pdf. this by far the best way as it means you can still be catching mistakes even at this late stage.

there is a bug within logic that causes problems with time sig and double bar display if you have multi-bar rests inserted. so once you have all your parts:

- go to your full score instrument set

- select a stave that you know contains a multi bar rest.

- open the event editor and find and select the multi bar rest.

- close the editor and hit 'select similar'

- you won't notice anything but within all of the score, all multi-bar rests will have been selected

- delete them then print your score to pdf.

- hit undo and your multi-bar rests will be returned. again you shouldn't notice anything other then some reformatting as a result of the time sigs being but back into the wrong place.

as i always say, the basic structure of the score editor is so good that even with these work arounds for stupid bugs it is still the fastest notator to work with. just remember to use instrument sets and score styles properly.

good luck"

I will try out this procedure on my next project. Thank you Stevenson for your level of detail and assistance!

Stevenson had the following insights!

"there is no way to automatically create multi-bar rests (would be nice though) but it is not problematic with 30 parts at all. simply use the multi-insert in full score (linear or page view) by holding down shift as you insert the multi rest and with consecutive staves selected (they should be blue). you could theoretically insert 30 multi-bar rests with just one click.

in general the best method for preparing score and parts is that you should:

- edit your parts first either individually or in sections by selecting the staves and using 'create instrument set from selection'.

- as you go, you should be creating an instrument set for each individual part. that way you can format each of the parts independently.

- once you have finished editing the parts, you can then print them to pdf. this by far the best way as it means you can still be catching mistakes even at this late stage.

there is a bug within logic that causes problems with time sig and double bar display if you have multi-bar rests inserted. so once you have all your parts:

- go to your full score instrument set

- select a stave that you know contains a multi bar rest.

- open the event editor and find and select the multi bar rest.

- close the editor and hit 'select similar'

- you won't notice anything but within all of the score, all multi-bar rests will have been selected

- delete them then print your score to pdf.

- hit undo and your multi-bar rests will be returned. again you shouldn't notice anything other then some reformatting as a result of the time sigs being but back into the wrong place.

as i always say, the basic structure of the score editor is so good that even with these work arounds for stupid bugs it is still the fastest notator to work with. just remember to use instrument sets and score styles properly.

good luck"

I will try out this procedure on my next project. Thank you Stevenson for your level of detail and assistance!

Rohan always manages to take 500 words to say what I say in 50 :)

What he said is essentially what I said but he does state things with great precision and is a very helpful guy as well as knowledgable.

And as one who has learnt much from you and Rohan, i'll be the first to say thanks for the major contributions you've both made to improving my workflow in the Score Editor. I'm still not yet a fan of workarounds when the programme itself could be improved beyond anything we could dream of, but i will wait and see for the next incarnation in a slightly more positive frame of mind, as a direct result of the advice, tips, and tricks you've both generously shared.

It is appreciated.

Alex.

And as one who has learnt much from you and Rohan, i'll be the first to say thanks for the major contributions you've both made to improving my workflow in the Score Editor. I'm still not yet a fan of workarounds when the programme itself could be improved beyond anything we could dream of, but i will wait and see for the next incarnation in a slightly more positive frame of mind, as a direct result of the advice, tips, and tricks you've both generously shared.

It is appreciated.

Alex.

That is really nice of you to say Alex. I appreciate it and I am sure Rohan does also.

• 13 years later...
This is more of a question than a reply. Why will some empty bars not accept the multibar rest symbol? I have, for example, 10 bars with multibar rest, 1 single bar rest, then 9 more bars with multibar rest, but I am unable to have just 20 bars with multibar rest.

This is more of a question than a reply. Why will some empty bars not accept the multibar rest symbol? I have, for example, 10 bars with multibar rest, 1 single bar rest, then 9 more bars with multibar rest, but I am unable to have just 20 bars with multibar rest.

This topic is 13 years old, so chances are you won't get any replies by posting in this existing topic. I invite you to start a new topic for your question, it will get much more attention that way.