G5 Gone Slow - Help!!

Hello,

I recently had to reformat my hard drive due to some odd behaviour (the hard drive icon on the desk top became invisible and I couldn’t access anything in it). Since reformatting the initial problem has been solved but I have been left with a new problem.

I have three drives, a hard drive and an audio drive (both internal), and a Lacie Big Disk (e SATA) for all my sample libraries. Certain functions on my system have now become very slow. I am frequently shown the multicoloured swirling Apple ‘wait’ symbol and the drives can regularly be heard ‘whirring’ and waking up. For example, in Logic Pro 7 trying to open the audio window by double clicking an audio block in the arrange window often shows the multicoloured wait symbol and can take between 10-20 seconds to open the audio window. When trying to use the sustain pedal on a loaded Akoustik Piano preset, it can take about 10-20 seconds till it loads the sustain information, ie, only the first few seconds of the sample is played. Another example is when opening a new window on the desktop to browse the contents on my audio drive, the drive appears empty for about 10 -20 seconds, but then does eventually show the contents.

I have checked my ‘energy saver’ settings in System Preferences and they are set up fine (I tried the ‘never put the drives to sleep’option and this still didn’t solve the problem). I should mention that during the initial reformatting of my hard drive I did not reformat the audio drive or the Lacie Big Disk as I did not want to risk deleting any of my work.

Does this sound like a software or a hardware problem? Should I try reformatting again, and if so, should I reformat all drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Rob Manning

I would suggest that you get a new system (Mac HD) drive. Clone your drive before you do, but don't assume that you will be able to recover everything. If this does not work, you may have a serious hardware issue, which I don't have anywhere near the knowledge to comment on.

Address this problem quickly or you could lose a lot of work.

Did you by any chance get AppleCare extended warranty?

Best, Marcel

No, I have not had problems with mine.

However, a friend had a G5 (roughly 2 years old) that died from a logic board (?) failure that started with these kind of systemic problems (he's a photographer, and is not a Logic user).

Just by the fact that you are having problems with functions that are embedded in Logic makes me think it is a system drive problem...

However, you did not mention if other apps or functions are squirrely too. Are they? If not, it could be a problem that occurred when you reinstalled Logic.

Best, Marcel

Help!!

My original problem of my HD going invisible has happened again!!

I finished a days work last night, the system was working a little bit better than it had been (due to reformatting my Lacie and Audio Drive) and when I switched it on this morning the HD icon is not apperaing on the desktop.

Am I right in thinking that this is a hardware problem/faulty drive or could Disk Warrior help this?

I think you should take your computer to a qualified tech, before you lose or corrupt the content of your work drives.

Sorry, but I'm pretty ignorant to the internal workings of something as complex as a G5 when it comes to malfunctions on an OS or hardware level, which appears to be what you are experiencing.

Best, Marcel