good pitch shifting for logic?

edubz

Melodyne is the best for vocal tuning or single note pitch shifting. If you need to raise or lower the pitch of gtrs or a whole track or something it's not so good. I always bump over to Ableton live (in complex mode) or PT to use Serato pitch n' time for that stuff.

I edit vox in Pro Tools or Logic, tune them in Melodyne or now with the Melodyne plugin inside Logic or PT. But for polyphonic pitch changing i.e. dropping or raising pitch of chordal stuff or complete mixes (while maintaining tempo especially) Melodyne is not so good. Logic isn't really either but I' I think Pitch n time and live are pretty good at this considering what your trying to do.

There's really no "one" answer to this when talking about complex material. In addition to Logic's own algorithm, I also have Pitch n Time, Izotope and recently Melodyne Studio. I've been amazed at how any one of these can sound horrible or wonderful depending on the particular material.

After a while you get a feel for which one may work best on certain mixes, but there's no hard and fast rule that I can tell. Surprisingly, on occasion it's been Logic's native algorithm that sounded best, hands down. Go figure.

Keep in mind that only the top end Melodyne "Studio" package has the algorithm for shifting complex mixes.

I agree that Pitch'n Time and Live is great. The "complex" warp algorithm in Live is awesome.

I don't agree with Live for this. I find it sounds very artifacty unless tthe changes aare very minor.

Pitch n' Time is indeed an improvement over the alogrhythms that come with Logic as is Isotope's Radius.

>>I don't agree with Live for this. I find it sounds very artifacty unless tthe changes aare very minor.<<

It is definately material dependent but Live's is fast and easy and it's not as bad on transients as Pitch n' Time. I've had very good luck with it. There are like 4 different modes to choose from so make sure you have the best for the material.