logic says my drive is full... no it' not !!! please !

mikeebruno

Yes another surprise from my friend logic.

Now, as soon as i rec enable my audio track, logic says "drive/partition music data is full". Then, there is nothing I can do... My finder says there is 12 gig available.

Personally i really dont believe my drive is full. What to do?? i have a session tomorrow morning...

thanks...x 100

Because you are recording to your system disk it appears to Logic that the disk is full.

OSX will allways use part of your system disk for virtual memory, depending on the plugs used virtual memory can easily exceed 16GB.

You are right on the edge of degraded performace, when space on the system disk is less than 10GB the OS has to work hard swapping data in and out of the available disk space.

I suggest a second hard drive dedicated to audio.

8)

thanks for the tips...

now here is my drives set up:

Internal drive ( 100gig 7200rpm) in 2 partitions, system and music data witch contain samples and audio files.

also have a LaCie firewire 300gig. When I'm finished with a song, i drag the file folder into that LaCie drive, also for backup.

I also have another firewire drive of 160 gig for other projets, that I can use for anything else.

how would you organize my system for the optimal performance.

thanks, this will help.

ciao

Well hi again.

The reson that I keep most of my stuff ( samples and file folder of recent projects) in the internal drive ( music data partition) is cause some time I go record out side

I and thaugh that having a partition for system separated from the audio file partition, should of enhance the performance.

thanks

breaking news !!

I did set the recording path to my lacie 300 gig and it still giving me that "disc is full" so not the drive at all.

And i had a session this morning in the music data partition with those 12 gig left and I loaded with vocal over dub with no message of that kind.

It as to be a setting with in that song or project.

David, I did set recording time to 222 min and still... ;-)

Thanks for your inputs

ciao

my problem is not solved...

I moved all my projects to my big lacie drive ( 300 gig)

and write on it, opened a new project and still bang...Disc full, with a max on recording time.

now I dont know what ti do.

I had a session today, tracking in another project, on my internal drive and had no problem...

So it is not the drive and I'm up to 3 diferents song files that has this problem.

thanks for your help.

ciao

• 1 year later...
Make sure you set a Maximum Recording Time in Audio > Set Audio Record Path?

Sorry for being dumb but where is this setting precisely?

Edit: And sorry for bumping a 2 years old thread, found this via search. :oops:

This was a setting Logic 6 and 7. It doesn't apply to Logic 8.

Ok thanks. But i'm getting an alert "your scratch disk is almost full" when i start recording for the first time on a project. I got only like 2 gigs free atm (that's terribly little, i know, i'm in the process of cleaning up my hd) and i'd like to know how much free space do i need to have to prevent Logic from giving me alerts about low disk space.

just move the logic prefs to the desktop & launch logic..

it should return to the default state... much simpler than trouble shooting

hardware/software if you know what is broken first.

note; all your save prefs will be gone...but you knew that!!

Because Logic, Mac OS, and any other program you might have running at the same time uses the system for virtual memory. Leaving 30% should prevent you from ever seeing any disk full messages.

1. If that is how much Logic requires free disk space, then why doesn't it say so in the system requirements?

2. Why does this happen only the first time after launching Logic, never afterwards, not even on a new project?

3. What have preferences to do with this issue?