Memory problems, still...

Nico1

I,m having problem with system overload, still.

I just bought a 300 gig hard drive wich I partitioned, as advised by someone on this forum, 10 gig on one partition and the rest on partition 2.

Now I'm wondering what should go where.

The categories of files are: 1. The actual Logic Express program. 2. Sound files from recording. 3.Software synths (for instance Native synths and effects).

4. library files to the synths/samplers. 5. The song files.

Wich files should go where?

Should the synths be installed on my local drive or on my external?

Where should Logic Express be installed?

As it is now, all the programs are installed on my local drive and everything else is on my external. But it doesn't work. If I load up, for example Battery 2 and Elektrik Piano, then the system starts protesting instantly.

Just two instruments and the problems starts.

Anybody who has some help to offer?

Gratefully

Peter :?

I don't believe you should partition your hard drive at all. There is no need for it unless you "like it" that way.

However, it is recommended to use 2 hard drives: one system drive that will contain OS X, Logic and other applications, and one audio drive that will contain your projects (session files, samples, audio...).

Now as far as your memory problems: when you get that message, how many plugins and which ones are you using? Plugins need a lot of RAM, especially big ones like mastering plug-ins, reverbs, synths and samplers like Battery or the EXS24. 512M of RAM is really not that much, so it's not surprising you run into that kind of problem if you are running several of those.

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, that it's enough if I start up Elektrik Piano or Battery for this problem message to come up.

Just one of these seems to be too much for the system.

I don't know if these synths are especially demanding? Elektrik Piano causes the most trouble. I can't use that at all (wich is a shame, cause it sounds wonderful!), not even as a standalone unit.

The reason I was advised to partition the external drive had something to do with the disk working on the outer edge rather than towards the middle, wich should increase the performance (as much as 80%)

It seems on your reply that I have placed my different items where they should be, samples and libraries and project files on the ext disk, the programs installed on the main drive. Is that correct?

Peter

Yes, these synths might be enough to use up all your memory (of which you don't have much to run OS X and Logic Pro in the first place). But have a look for yourself:

Open up Applications>Utility>Activity Monitor and click on System Memory, do that once you have opened Logic Pro and one instance of either instrument and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Mind if I jump in here.

Activity monitor What a cool thing

I've got a mealy 1g of ram in my Dual1.4G4.

its showing 290mb spare when I'm playing a sculpture or a ES2 monster synth

but still seeing the audio cpu sys perf window in Logic getting very busy( procesor one almost full to be precise) and hearing lo level 'distortion'

I've got a mealy 1g of ram in my Dual1.4G4.

its showing 290mb spare when I'm playing a sculpture or a ES2 monster synth

but still seeing the audio cpu sys perf window in Logic getting very busy( procesor one almost full to be precise) and hearing lo level 'distortion'

yeah, well RAM and CPU (processor) usage are separate though interrelated things, as you probably know. A soft synth which loads samples into RAM (like Atmosphere for instance) benefits from more of the former, but lots of RAM won't help Virtual Instruments which rely largely on processing power (such as Sculpture for instance).

So it's perfectly possible to max out your CPU while there is still plenty of RAM free.

1GB of RAM isn't a whole lot but apparently it's a workable minimum for you. A Dual 1.4 is still a pretty powerful computer.

RR

Thanks Rikki,

So any plug-ins I might buy (havent as yet) essentially need RAM and Logic's own Virtual Instrument need CPU clout...??

Maybe paranoia but is it a bit weird to have just ONE Virtual Instrument like sculpture 'wipe out' my CPU usage?

Surely I should be able to do a pretty hefty piece of work in logic before this starts happening..

Have i overlooked something in my Logic setup?

More paranoia!! ---- Freezing Files doesnt REALLY seem to NOTICABLY reduce CPU load I record a VI I freeze it I play back- am I missing something??

Many thanks RR

Thanks Rikki,

So any plug-ins I might buy (havent as yet) essentially need RAM and Logic's own Virtual Instrument need CPU clout...??

>well, not exactly-you need to check whether each plug in has a sample library or not, how big it is,and whether it loads to RAM-all Spectrasonics VIs do for instance. Others, such as the Native Instruments Kompakt VIs, can stream from Disk, and that's where you'll need CPU power. So a bit of research is called for. But: as I said, yours is a reasonably powerful computer. <

Maybe paranoia but is it a bit weird to have just ONE Virtual Instrument like sculpture 'wipe out' my CPU usage?

> I'm not sure. There are aspects of Sculpture which are real CPU hogs . Filters and Effects are something to watch out for. Try opening up some other Sculpture presets and disabling filters/effects to test the difference<

Surely I should be able to do a pretty hefty piece of work in logic before this starts happening..

Have i overlooked something in my Logic setup?

More paranoia!! ---- Freezing Files doesnt REALLY seem to NOTICABLY reduce CPU load I record a VI I freeze it I play back- am I missing something??

>It's always worth going through all Logic's preferences and Song Settings - sometimes there's something really simple which makes a difference. And take a good look in the manual :-) But maybe someone else can answer this, i don't use Freeze files generally. <

/quote]