"wmObject: error, update nesting too deep!"

nechronics

ewggWCQz

This error sporadically pops up while I'm working. It's a total workflow killer as it will pop up repeatedly no matter how many times I've closed it. Only way to get rid of it is to close out Logic completely and reopen it...after which it will work for some time until popping up again after some edits. There isn't anything specific that I'm editing that seems to cause it and I've tried turning off all external plugins to get rid of it to no avail.

I did a quick google search and found one thread on Gearslutz where a user mentioned the problem here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-pro-x/853912-logic-x-found-any-work-stopping-bugs-yet.html

I didn't see any mention of it on this board though so figured I'd post it.

Thanks for posting the pic. The only thing that looks excessive is the amount of undo steps and the memory they're taking. The rest seems normal. I think you should reduce the amount of undo steps to something like 10 or 15 in Logic's preferences. I would also delete the current undo history then save the project.

I see from your previous pic that you have quite a few looped regions. Try converting those to real copies as well. see if it helps.

How about folder regions, any of those in your project?

J.

I deleted my undo history and took the looped regions, converted to single regions and bounced them all to audio. The problem still intermittently pops up, however.

One thing I noticed is that Logic read my project as having 108 midi regions. Initially, I presumed it was counting all the looped regions as individual regions, but when I bounced them all it still says I have 108 regions (I had just started this project and it only had 5-10 midi regions)...now maybe 15...not sure where it's reading all these other midi regions, but I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Here is the updated project info...the # of audio regions jumped to 976 when I bounced all the loop regions to audio (those are all just ghost note triggers)

YG10UCMM

I deleted my undo history and took the looped regions, converted to single regions and bounced them all to audio. The problem still intermittently pops up, however.

Darn. This may be unrelated to project data after all (the infamous "deep architecture" error)...

See if you get more info about this error in the Console (Applications/Utilities). Open the Console and clear its display. When the message pops up take a look at the console to see if it gives more information.

If it doesn't give you anything useful, you could start troubleshooting third party plug-ins. You could also try importing the contents of that project into a new one using the All Files Browser.

J.

I really don't know how any of that in your console relates to that dialog you're getting in Logic. :?

Have you tried this already?

If it doesn't give you anything useful, you could start troubleshooting third party plug-ins. You could also try importing the contents of that project into a new one using the All Files Browser.

J.

• 1 month later...

To pipe in, i've been getting these for the past few months in Logic X. The only method i know to get rid of them is to entirely close logic and reopen the project. It seems to pop up more with intense automation, especially regarding the Soundtoys bundle for me. Are you using those AUs?

It shouldn't be related to my undo steps, as i've got only 5 steps enabled for undo, which is not a lot. It has also persisted from Logic 10.0 through 10.0.6.

MBP 2.66 Ghz Intel core i7 (dual core), 8gb ram, OSX 10.8.5

I'm having the same issue. Seems like it's automation on FilterFreak (a SoundToys plugin) that's doing the damage... turning "read" off corrects the problem. I must say this is very problematic bug as the error pops up randomly and incredibly often, making it nearly impossible to get anything done. I messaged SoundToys support to see what they have to say but haven't heard back at this time. I tried fiddling with Automation preferences but nothing I tried made a difference. Anyone got any ideas?

AHHHH!!!!!

This just happened to me too, while designing some effects for a track I''m working on. Soundtoys Filterfreak as well, except it didn't pop up until I was looping it well after setting up the FilterFreak automation, and I was trying out some other flanging/phasing effects.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Same problem here. Except I am on Digital Performer! I don't even use Logic but am here because I get the exact same error when automating Tremolator. Definitely a SoundToys bug. And an unfortunately one at that. Can we all send them our project files I wonder?

Has anyone been able to fix this with Soundtoys support yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been getting the message too on one project in Logic Pro X. I am running 2 Decapitators, 2 Crystallisers, an Echoboy, a Panman, but I'm only automating the new Little Primal Tap. The problem disappears when I disable the READ on the Primal Tap (I think, been away from the studio for a few days). Soundtoys have told me they've come across it before and have been asking me for more details on the session etc., but I don't think a bug fix is particularly imminent. Fingers crossed.

Logic Pro X

OSX Mavericks

Intel iMac Quad-Core i5

• 2 months later...

I still get this error when running heavy automation with soundtoys plugins. The best I've found to do is immediately close the project without saving anytime I get this error. When I open up my last save the error doesn't occur for some time, usually not until I'm doing a lot of automation edits and cycling. Usually this fix holds for a long time. It sucks to have to do this but this error is pretty heinous when it happens. Hope that helps someone out there.

I'm fairly disappointed that this issue wasn't addressed in the latest Soundtoys update. They claim they know it's a problem but apparently are clueless on how to fix it. I suggest anyone having this issue email Soundtoys support and complain a bit so they're more motivated to find a solution.

• 2 months later...

I know its an old thread, but I've been having the same incredibly annoying error message on a session with multiple instances of Soundtoy's Little PrimalTap with lots of automation. I've upgraded to the latest version of the plugin, but to no avail.

I'm on Logic Pro X 10.0.7 and system 10.8.5 on a Mac Pro. I'm on a deadline - this is so frustrating.

I'm going to have to resolve to freezing most of the tracks hoping that it will stop happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dealing with the same issue, I more or less stopped using FilterFreak when automating and use a different filter - which is too bad, because FilterFreak is king in my book. The switching the automation lane off of Read, also seems to work.

I spoke with a SoundToys support rep today who had this to say:

"That is an issue we are aware of, and we will be including a fix for this in our next major release. Unfortunately, the only temporary solution is to restart Logic (or even your computer) and remove that particular automation lane. Stay tuned for updates!"

When I asked if the fix would be free, he replied with:

"Only for users who purchased within our grace period, which began on October 1, 2014. The upgrade will include all sorts of other plug-ins (Radiator, Devil-Loc, MicroShift, PrimalTap, EffectRack), so it will not be a free upgrade. Once you upgrade to Soundtoys 5, you would get free upgrades for that product line until the next major release."

If you ask me, thats kind of shitty - to acknowledge a known bug with existing software, but only offer a fix with a paid upgrade in a major release? SoundToys plugs are indispensable to me - but without knowing their specific reason for handling it this way, this feels like bad business

I spoke with a SoundToys support rep today who had this to say:

"That is an issue we are aware of, and we will be including a fix for this in our next major release.

Yeah, that's kind of lame if a fix will only e available in Soundtoys 5. Maybe it would be best to ask them directly if they ever intend to include the fix for previous versions as well.

J.

• 9 months later...
Programmers would call this an "assertion error." Or, "the sort of message that cannot possibly occur except that it just did." Deep in the guts of the source-code of the system, there is obviously a check to avoid "infinite recursion" (mumble, mumble ... yeah, I'm a programmer ... :roll: ) that should never go off. You definitely want to try your best to isolate this problem and submit a bug-report to Apple that is as detailed as possible. If the programmers can reproduce the problem, they ought to be able to identify its source. Maybe.

• 2 years later...

Interesting thread.. unfortunately I am suffering exactly the same problem 5 years ahead of the OP.

I'm on latest Logic 10.4.1 and latest SoundToys5 version, I'm even using automation on FilterFreak!

So I guess they never fixed it..

I guess I'll have to forward the problem to SoundToys support..