Sample and Hold plugins? [SOLVED]

Anyone know of a 3rd parter plugin that does a "sample and hold" type effect polyphonically? And for you young chaps, i mean something like the arpeggiator but instead of arpeggiating a chord, it simply repeats all notes of a note or chord as you play it. The ability to assign filter changes to each repeat would be cool too. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining what I was looking for. Anyway... After some online searching, it seems there is a new product coming out from XILS-lab called RAMSES that might help get me there. Could I be overlooking something in Logic that would rhythmically repeat the chord you are playing synced to tempo without arpeggiating it? Would still appreciate some input.

What version of Logic are you using?

Add your system information to your signature:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)
  • OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.5)
  • Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)
  • Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
  • Memory (e.g. 2GB)
  • Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)
  • MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Thank you.

J.

Logicc- I apologize for the confusion. I know how the sample and hold function on my ARP Odyssey (which I bought new. And yes, I am dating myself.) I was just hoping someone with analog experience would recognize the general Idea I was trying to convey and translate it into digital jargon. Which Jordi did and it was very helpful. Thanks for the link, though.

• 8 years later...

Neither Logic Arpeggiator and RAMSES don't do real Sample & Hold. I am looking for a Sample & Hold Plug In that would input Audio and export a proper S&Held signal.

No one is making This, why not? I guess because like Tgreer was saying it is dated. There is no reason why it can't be used, that is just fashion. Trends come and go, and if a good product is made it will get used and fashion will change...

So, why not make a S&H Audio Plug-In for Logic, if You are still listening? I am sure many Old Timers, like Tgreer and Myself would go for it, and it would also be a chance to be inspiring new styles.

All it needs is a small bit of AD Converter Circuit Emulation, A Sample Rate  Dial and A Hold Time Dial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_and_hold

So David, I just checked That out. From The Interface it looks a bit like The Output of from A S&H. Unfortunately, Bitcrusher is just adding Distortion, which sounds nothing like Sample & Hold. 

A real S&H would sound different. This Vid has some examples of how it can sound:

I had A Free VST Plug In, from somewhere, around 15 years ago. I cant see it anywhere. It had Sample Rate and Hold Time buttons and a button to apply Sample Snapshot manually.

What I'd be after is to be able to use it on Vocals, or other Audio, as a AU Plug In. It has great potential for creative uses.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Not really versed in S&H but there is such a module in AAS's Multiphonics CV-1

Thanx Atlas! AAS used to make Tassman which was an interesting physical modelling modular synth.   Multiphonics looks interesting, too, as AAS make good stuff.

What I am after is to use S&H on audio channels. To use it to mess with Vocals, mostly. Tassman used to have A S&H Module, and could be used as An Audio Effect.

I am guessing You have Multiphonics? Does It let You route Audio through?

On 5/31/2022 at 3:33 AM, FredX said:

I am guessing You have Multiphonics? Does It let You route Audio through?

Yes, I do have Multiphonics although I use same rather superficially.

It couldn't be used as an audio FX as Tassman used to be. Although, I'm told that same is in AAS's plan.

ITMT, I'm not aware of ways to route external audio signal into it either...

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

Yes, I do have Multiphonics although I use same rather superficially.

It couldn't be used as an audio FX as Tassman used to be. Although, I'm told that same is in AAS's plan.

ITMT, I'm not aware of ways to route external audio signal into it either...

Thanx for That, good to know! I can't afford to be buying Plug-Ins just on a chance of Them working out.

Tassman was great. I got a bit into That, a bit, though it took a lot of reading up on. It looks like, from vids, that Their Chromaphone is a bit easier to use and has most of the Physical Modelling blocks from Tassman though set up to be used more intuitively.

I used to use Tassman's Sample & Hold Module, in Audio FX Mode on Vocals mostly, though it sounded good on synths too.

Multiphonics looks like Tassman without the Physical Modelling blocks, and a bit easier to work with. A good price too! Maybe AAS will get Multiphonics sorted with FX Mode! I'll get on to Them to request it.

12 hours ago, FredX said:

Multiphonics looks like Tassman without the Physical Modelling blocks, and a bit easier to work with. A good price too! Maybe AAS will get Multiphonics sorted with FX Mode! I'll get on to Them to request it.

Multiphonics is indeed definitely more intuitive to work with than Tassman used to be. It doesn’t require to build on a different level than experimenting on the play level. It actually works like modular synthesis but without the inherent hardware limitations (and price) which is pretty cool.

I am personally more into music composition than sound design (even if the latter is actually a crucial aspect of music). Multiphonics is anyways more user friendly.

Your idea to request that Multiphonics becomes also usable as an audio FX is a really good one. The more people voices that same interest, higher are the chance to entice AAS to implement it.

Chromaphone (now 3) is quite different. Its GUI is more userfriendly than Tassman was. Tassman was IMHO  the least intuitive.

13 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Multiphonics is indeed definitely more intuitive....

I just got The AAS Upgrade, which came as a cheap enough deal. Cromaphone and Multiphonics, as a replacement for Tassman are not so bad. Unfortunately no Audio FX, but thanks for The Heads Up on That! I have Their other synths back working again and Their stuff sounds great.

Looks like FM8 doesn't have an Audio FX version too, now. too. NI are getting kind of crap now.

Yes Tassman, Reaktor, Max, PD or CSound are/were all hard to get into. It can be interesting but takes time. The Manuals are usually not well written or planned out intuitively, if They exist at all. I guess Life is short and there is pressure to get stuff done or to make Money...

I will check out making a S&H in Reaktor and Max. I couldn't get Reaktor Block's S&H doesn't work properly for Audio In. Maybe I can get It going in the building side. I don't have a lot on, so have time for both Music and trying to read up on Coding. Yes, it is better to just plug and play!

I was on to ASS and have, also, asked other makers for an S&H. Maybe it will work out. Maybe The Logic People are listening and will save Me some hassle and get a simple S&H Audio Plug-In going?

S&H is Old Tech, so easy enough to build, I'd say. It is kind of forgotten, there is money to be made in restarting old stuff, so maybe there is a chance...

9 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Old tech but cool stuff, I agree!

For the rest, let's pray...

I tried This Patch in Reaktor6, but it is not great. What it needs is some kind of FFT or Granular Synthesis to hold The Sampled Vale constant, even at low sample rates. 

Jim Morrison had This to say about Prayer. As A Sethian Gnostic I'd agree and advise You and anyone to stay away from The Demiurge and Archons. Maybe We can petition The Logic People instead?

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys, late to the party (by a couple of years), but S&H being an audio effect can be created using the EVOC 20 Filterbank with a random waveform selected and clocked to eighths or sixteenths. You'll have to select your frequencies to produce the appropriate pattern. The Sync Filter Switch preset will give you an idea, then tinker.