Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

David, I see you have a new book scheduled for release in May, called just 'logic pro'. Is this the 10.7 version of the book but with the version numbering system dropped?

Yes! Exactly. :)

Thanks, good to know! I was hoping that there was possibly a new major version logic coming in May and the book would coincide with the release of it, but apparently not haha.

• David Nahmani changed the title to Logic Pro 10.7 Book — Apple Pro Training Series
  • David Nahmani featured and unfeatured this topic
  • David Nahmani featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 7 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, evansky said:

Hi all, new here. Hopefully David or someone can help me out (or move to the correct sub-forum)...

I am on page 276 of the LPX 10.5 book (Chopping Loops in a Take Folder). After I rename and recolor the tracks, I select them, and Pack Take Folder. Once I do that, all the colors change to brown, so I cannot easily tell which track is which. I CMD-Z all the way back, and it still behaves this way. Rebooting doesn't help.

Is this something that changed in 10.6.x? If so, I'm sure there's a new way to handle this, but I don't know what it is. Sure could use some help here.

I am on 10.6.3, and Catalina.

Thanks

On 11/11/2021 at 1:31 AM, JakobP said:

Just tried it, there's a project setting that seems to make this happen; When "Auto-colorize takes" in recording settings under "General" is checked, I get the "brown takes issue", while having it unchecked keeps the colors of the takes as is...

I'm having a similar issue to what evansky described but the Setting for "auto-colorize takes" is already unchecked for me.  Working through Lesson 5, on pg. 271 drag the four loops onto the tracks view and then create a take folder as described on pg, 273 (my tracks were already different colors as I have "Auto Assign - 24 colors" selected in my LP settings under Settings/Recording).

When the take folder is created, all takes changed to the main track color.  Additionally, trying to then change color on any take within the folder simply results in all takes and the main track being changed to that color.

I'd like to figure this out since the multiple colors really help visualize the comped track.  Just to be sure it wasn't the auto-assign color option, I went back and disabled that and redid the exercise but the results are the same, all takes change to the selected track color and cannot be independently change after that within the takes folder.

edit - sheesh, so many settings impact other settings and behaviors and I have NO idea.  It can be quite confusing!  I had changed to auto assign color as noted above and also set region color to "As Track Color".  It is that second option that created the issue with the takes colors for me.  These settings are all in LP Settings/Display/Tracks.

Edited by JimN
figured it out

58 minutes ago, JimN said:

so many settings impact other settings and behaviors and I have NO idea.

Yes, there are many settings, preferences and even conditions that affect all the behaviors described in the book, which is why unless you have exactly the same version of software I used for the book, fresh new factory install, initial or reinitialized preferences etc... as detailed in the "Getting Started", you may not get the exact same results as described in the book. 

• 2 months later...

David, I'm enjoying your book so far, but I've found some very minor "bugs" in the 10.7 PDF version I downloaded from the Peachpit.com site back in June 2022 (don't have the Mac or Kindle versions to compare.):

Using MacOS Preview, with the Table of Contents sidebar showing and expanded to show various section names, I've found a couple of section titles that are out of order.

Here are the two I've found (there may be more, I didn't check all lessons.)

In my listing below, I'm including the previous section name in the top-to-bottom listing that is not out of order, so you can see the section name after it has a lower page number.

To see what i'm seeing, open up that Table of Contents and for the Lessons mentioned, expand to see all sections, then click the section names I've listed and look at the page numbers in the body of the document.

-------

Lesson 3

:

Setting Up Parallel processing   149

Loading and Editing Patches     145   (out of order)

---

Lesson 4

:

Correcting the Timing of a MIDI Recording   214

Deleting Unused Autio Files   204  (out of order)

--------

Note, this happens in Preview on both my Macs:   iMac (late 2015)/MacOS 12.6.3;   PowerBook 2018/MacOS 11.6

Note, when clicking the Table of Contents section, the user is taken to the correct page, so it's not a big deal, IMO.  This could be a MacOS problem, or an error in putting the PDF together, I can only guess.

Thought You'd Want To Know.  Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyHands said:

Using MacOS Preview, with the Table of Contents sidebar showing and expanded to show various section names, I've found a couple of section titles that are out of order.

Thank you Johnny, unfortunately that part is actually out of my hands (as the author, I write the text but I don't create the table of contents). Would you mind reporting your findings to my editor? 

https://www.peachpit.com/about/contact_us/index.aspx?ContactUs_Topics_Partners_id=3607729a-b849-469b-aae5-824a31a21907

6 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Thank you Johnny, unfortunately that part is actually out of my hands (as the author, I write the text but I don't create the table of contents). Would you mind reporting your findings to my editor? 

https://www.peachpit.com/about/contact_us/index.aspx?ContactUs_Topics_Partners_id=3607729a-b849-469b-aae5-824a31a21907

Done.

• Like 1

• David Nahmani changed the title to Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)