Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

Any update on when the new version will be available?

It's probably going to take a little while. I should be done writing at the end of March but then the production takes a while... maybe end of May or so?

The original version is an indispensable resource to me. I refer to it every day. Kudos on an excellent effort. I'm really looking forward to the new version.

Dear David,

I am a newbie to Logic. I bought the book a week ago or so in german translation. Right now I am trying to figure out how to use chapter 9.7.1 "Use of the compressor" as the compressor in my logic version looks totally different. But not only the look is different but the commands also.

Could you please post kind of a short explanation for chapter 9.7.1 "Use of the compressor" and 9.7.2 (as far as the compressor is concerned) for the new compressor right here on the message board? I am absolutely stuck at this point...

Thank you.

I just reached the same part as industriegigant, and decided to search the forums. The compressor is in a drastically different format with more/different options... However, I have the English version, so I'm guessing it's not a typo. It must have been in the 10.1.1 update.

It's nearly impossible to follow along for the compression portion, so I could use some guidance as well! And thanks for your response to my previous question last week, I'm assuming it was also a change because of the last update.

Edit:

I might have done this correctly, but I thought I'd show you what I did; I changed the top button that says "Platinum Digital" to "Vintage Opto". Then I changed the "Auto Gain" button to "Off" and deselected the button that says "Auto" (not sure what that does). I then changed the Ratio as described in the book and used the Threshold from the main area as well (not the one on the side, since it doesn't go down to -34.5dB). Then I changed the output gain to 2.5dB.

It seems right but I'd like to make sure. :)

352504370_ScreenShot2015-03-26at2_29_20PM.thumb.png.410241d08686e089033cedee47293d6f.png

Here are the corrections regarding the new Compressor plug-in, to follow the current book in 10.1, starting on page 426:

TIP: Single-click the Gain Reduction meter...

5. Option-click the Make Up knob to set it to 0 dB. Set Auto Gain to Off.

6. Click the Vintage Opto button.

7. Set the Threshold knob below the Meter needle to -34.5 dB.

8. Set the Ratio to 2.0:1.

9. Set the Make Up knob to 2.5 dB.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David,

If the new version of the book is due this summer when will the new test be implemented? I'm scheduled to take the test at the end of July and it looks like the ebook will available mid July. And will the new material be available before the book is published for us poor saps to study with?

Thanks,

Ben

If the new version of the book is due this summer when will the new test be implemented? I'm scheduled to take the test at the end of July and it looks like the ebook will available mid July. And will the new material be available before the book is published for us poor saps to study with?

Hi Ben,

The new test will be ready at the same time as the book comes out, which is scheduled for early June. The eBook should also be ready early June.

Hi David,

Do you know of any online repositories of information on the new material (apple documentation, videos) that we can study from until the book is released?

I presume that the majority of the new book will be the same material...hopefully!

Any guidance here would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

Do you know of any online repositories of information on the new material (apple documentation, videos) that we can study from until the book is released?

Hi Ben,

As far as I know the only information will be published on ASW for Apple Certified Trainers. If you're not an ACT then you'll have to wait for the book's release. You assume right, most of the material is the same, and most of the new features in 10.1 have been added to the new book.

Hi, this forum is so helpful, i just bought, Logic Pro X Training Book, I'm already by the " Editing Audio" Lesson 3 , is a really helpful book with a lot of information about Logic, the only thing (I always have such bad luck haha) is that i bought the book without knowing there was an updated book for 10.1 :D, some information is different from the book i have and the new 10.1, but well, is a pretty helpful book so, i thank you for your work ^^

Greetings,

J.R.