Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

Hi David, I'm now reading through the book, and it's a pleasure :-)

But I have a question Lesson 2, creating a drummer track. In the beginning we fiddle around a little with different drummers, presets etc. But we end up with choosing Kyle playing on Max's East Bay drum kit.

But by then I have tried different presets, so which of Kyle's presets is the lesson supposed to use?

But I have a question Lesson 2, creating a drummer track. In the beginning we fiddle around a little with different drummers, presets etc. But we end up with choosing Kyle playing on Max's East Bay drum kit.

But by then I have tried different presets, so which of Kyle's presets is the lesson supposed to use?

It shouldn't matter as when you choose Kyle again, you're back to the Half-pipe preset.

In any case in the following steps you customize the entire preset again so it truly shouldn't matter?

It shouldn't matter as when you choose Kyle again, you're back to the Half-pipe preset.

In any case in the following steps you customize the entire preset again so it truly shouldn't matter?

Thanks David, I can see now that I didn't quite get the concept of preset, but I think I do now :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi David. A quick question about the new book. I'm currently working through your Logic 10.4 book, and will probably be done within the next few weeks. Does the 10.5 book offer enough new information to justify buying it if you've recently completed the 10.4 one? How many chapters are very similar in content to the 10.4 one? Thanks very much :-)

Yes, I think there's a lot of new info in the 10.5 book compared to the 10.4 book. In fact it may be the biggest change in my book since I started writing it for Logic 8 !!! I have a new part on the Live Loops grid, a new chapter dedicated to handling effect and instrument plug-ins and patches, copying, moving, ordering them, saving settings and patches etc. I have a whole new chapter on sampling. A chapter on the Step Sequencer, some new ways to create creative content, integrated workflows (DMD, Step Sequencer, Live Loops grid). That also means I had to make a little bit of room so some of the content in the 10.4 book has been reduced a bit (recording, automation).

Don't get me wrong, I did keep some of the same material, so if you just went through my 10.4 book and go through the 10.5 book you'll skip some of the chapters that are pretty much the same to reach the ones that talk about the new topics.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, David. Any particular reasons behind this decision? They still keep on requiring this kind of certificates for some jobs here in Spain :(

Hi Juan,

I have no idea what motivated the decision. If I had to guess, I would suppose that they feel their time/budget is better spent elsewhere, but other than that I truly don't know.

Hi David. I received the book, but hadn't started when 10.6 landed. Will the 10.5 book be suitable to use alongside 10.6, or are the differences too big?

Not to worry, the book is suitable for 10.6, the differences between 10.5 and 10.6 are very small and don't affect the book at all.

Great news, thanks David!

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for the stupid question, but do I need Kindle to purchase "Kindle Version" and download this book onto an iMac? Or Can I just purchase it as a PDF and put it on my computer? Thanks!

You can download a free Kindle app to read the Kindle version on your Mac: https://amzn.to/3nIt4vI

Or you can purchase the eBook from the publisher: https://www.peachpit.com/store/logic-pro-x-10.5-apple-pro-training-series-professional-9780136886624

• 4 weeks later...
Hey David, so I'm not very deep into the book yet but I'm hung up on one of the early exercises. I'm at the part where you start walking the reader through the tracks view interface, and the required loop, Breaks Bump Beat 01, seems to be missing from my library. Is this an error on my part or was this loop removed in a recent update? Thanks!

Hey David, so I'm not very deep into the book yet but I'm hung up on one of the early exercises. I'm at the part where you start walking the reader through the tracks view interface, and the required loop, Breaks Bump Beat 01, seems to be missing from my library. Is this an error on my part or was this loop removed in a recent update? Thanks!

I can see the loop here in10.6.1. Make sure you have the complete Apple Sound Library installed as detailed in the "Getting Started" section of my book?

• 1 month later...

Hello David I have just purchased your book from Amazon and also my apple MacBook it’s an M1 silicon chip and I’m on bigsur

In your introduction you talk about a midi controller (which I don’t have) and could you offer an advice on one to buy. I have tried some research but I’m confused on compatability with the new MacBooks could anyone point me in the right direction . I know that some are 33/37/49 keys etc but I just want any that will work with the new MacBook thanks to anyone that can offer any help

Hello David I have just purchased your book from Amazon and also my apple MacBook it’s an M1 silicon chip and I’m on bigsur

Great, that's a very good, powerful lean machine, you should be very happy.

In your introduction you talk about a midi controller (which I don’t have) and could you offer an advice on one to buy. I have tried some research but I’m confused on compatability with the new MacBooks could anyone point me in the right direction . I know that some are 33/37/49 keys etc but I just want any that will work with the new MacBook thanks to anyone that can offer any help

Any current USB MIDI Controller keyboard will be compatible with your machine. You have to determine the number of keys you want, if you want pads, knobs, sliders etc... look for products by (in no particular order) M-Audio, Arturia, AKAI, Nektar, Alesis, Novation, Native Instruments, Korg, etc.

Hi David thank you for taking the time to reply , I am going to tackle chapter 1 as soon as I purchase a midi controller . I’ve never used a DAW so I’m all excited and raring to go take care and stay safe thanks

You don't need the keyboard to get started, Lesson 1 doesn't use the keyboard at all, and even if you need the keyboard you can use the Musical Typing WIndow as instructed so don't let that slow down you starting to work with the book! :D

Hi David.

I’ve been working through Chapter 9 of the 10.4 book again and just had a quick question regarding the Glockenspiel track on ‘Big’. After completing the stereo panning task, out of curiosity I opened up the plug-ins on the channel strip and noticed that the compressor has almost no gain reduction but around 10db of make-up gain. I’m assuming that this make-up gain was added just to raise the overall volume of the Glockenspiel? If that is the case, I’m just wondering why you would use make-up gain in the compressor for this purpose rather than a Gain plug-in as the first insert on the channel strip. Or have I just misunderstood the purpose of the high make-up gain setting? Really loving re-visiting the book, by the way. I’m able to focus on things I didn’t even notice before - hence the question!

Hi Neil, I don't have the session loaded on my Mac at the moment, my guess is, the compressor was inserted with the intention of being used, tweaked throughout the mix and ended up not being used yet stayed for gain adjustment. Note that I didn't mix the song myself, Distant Cousins mixed it themselves and sent me the completed mix, so I am just guessing.