Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

I wanted to give credit where credit is due. I'm the FOH engineer for a church, and now with our digital board they want me mixing recordings. They decided they wanted me going with Logic instead of Pro Tools, so I bought Logic. At first the interface was intimidating and I was a bit overwhelmed thinking it was going to take me forever to learn a new interface. Learning ProTools with the (expensive) books I had bought was daunting. I am truly amazed how well the Logic book is written, and how easy the lessons were. I found a key combination here or there that didn't "appear" to work...or I wasn't doing it correctly, but all in all I found the book extremely accurate, easy to follow, and complete enough to get me going. Naturally I am not instantly an expert, but this book got me functional in a very short period of time. I've already created my standard project template, and I've mixed one of the worship songs using automation (panning and level), EQ, Compression, Effects, and other features. My Pastor listened to my first shot at it and told me my first rough mix sounded better than many church CDs he has heard. I was pretty pleased and knew I would not be this far along without this awesome book. It would be great to have a sequel that would cover essential subjects that could not be included in the initial book. Outstanding book...great value for the price...thanks so much !

Hi

I wanted to give credit where credit is due. I'm the FOH engineer for a church, and now with our digital board they want me mixing recordings....

Outstanding book...great value for the price...thanks so much !

Duet FW and Mixing project from Lp9 book is now replaced with Mixing project LpX book.

I do work through from the beginning but the Mix-Project is in 20 most recents menu from day one.

I'll put Lp9 Mix-Project back in the 20, along with others like score project. LpX Versions.

Just a potential heads up if you bought the electronic version of David's LPX book from the iBooks Store, and are running a business.

I'm thinking to get LPX certified, so I bought the e-book for my business. I wanted to get a VAT invoice -- Apple does not normally issue them, but you should be able to get one by requesting it. I didn't do this when I bought LPX from the Mac App Store, but maybe I should have.

Well, in this case I was reminded by a helpful support person that I have agreed to make iTunes Store purchases only for personal, non-commercial use. That's not entirely true; after reviewing the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions, it seems that it is really like that for iBooks Store, but for Mac App Store and App Store purchases, the customer can be either an individual or a business.

The problem here is that, even though IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), I think legally I'm not allowed to use the e-book for commercial purposes. Also, I can't get a VAT invoice for an iBooks Store purchase for my business.

I guess I should have ordered the printed version of the book from Amazon in the first place. I'm going to try to get a refund from Apple, but I'm not surprised if they decline and cite the terms.

I know it's not a big deal money wise to not get the VAT refund, but the terms for iBooks were kind of surprising. After all, there are a lot of professional books available in the iBooks Store.

EDIT, a few days later: iTunes Store made an exception and will refund me for the e-book. I immediately ordered the printed book from Amazon UK.

Edited by Cone

hey guys! new to the forum but I have enjoyed reading some great threads already......I was very impressed by what I saw from the reviews of the book and took the plunge and ordered it today......looking forward to getting it and hanging out with all of you and learning what I can!!!

I wanted to give credit where credit is due. I'm the FOH engineer for a church, and now with our digital board they want me mixing recordings. They decided they wanted me going with Logic instead of Pro Tools, so I bought Logic. At first the interface was intimidating and I was a bit overwhelmed thinking it was going to take me forever to learn a new interface. Learning ProTools with the (expensive) books I had bought was daunting. I am truly amazed how well the Logic book is written, and how easy the lessons were. I found a key combination here or there that didn't "appear" to work...or I wasn't doing it correctly, but all in all I found the book extremely accurate, easy to follow, and complete enough to get me going. Naturally I am not instantly an expert, but this book got me functional in a very short period of time. I've already created my standard project template, and I've mixed one of the worship songs using automation (panning and level), EQ, Compression, Effects, and other features. My Pastor listened to my first shot at it and told me my first rough mix sounded better than many church CDs he has heard. I was pretty pleased and knew I would not be this far along without this awesome book. It would be great to have a sequel that would cover essential subjects that could not be included in the initial book. Outstanding book...great value for the price...thanks so much !

That's quite an amazing review ebfsound, thank you! I am proud of your achievement and I like to think I may have had a little bit to do with it!!

And thinking of reviews, to everybody: please don't forget to leave your reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Series-Professional/dp/0321967593), thank you! :D

EDIT, a few days later: iTunes Store made an exception and will refund me for the e-book. I immediately ordered the printed book from Amazon UK.

Great! Good to hear you resolved this.

Is there a problem with the software accompanying this. After loading ( and completing the first lesson) i lost my guitar effects etc. Also my novation impulse 49 lost what little transport functions ?

I'm sorry to hear! There's no software accompanying this book, only media files (Logic Pro X project folders, audio files, MIDI files), which won't affect your Novation or your guitar effects. I recommend you start a new thread in the Logic Pro X forum giving more details (what guitar effects? etc...) so we can help you troubleshoot your issue.

Received your book for Xmas fm the wife. It was ordered fm a local vender, so no amazon review coming :)! Took it one page at a time, fm beginning, and this morning started Lesson 8. I'll have the book completed by weekend. Retirement is a wonderful thing.

For an "old" blues harp player, I've been working in Pro Tools for the past 15+ yrs. Played around with Logic a bit in our studio, but really never gave it much time. Again PT HD+, etc ....

With the look and feel of LPX, I had to have it. Along with your book, and a new MacBook Pro, my trips to the studio are becoming a real classroom. I want to thank you for such a well written master piece, and what I feel, will be a very good reference.

Thank you ...

David, I'm working through your new book and enjoying it.

However, everything is going totally wrong with the Comping lesson in Chapter 3. The take colors are not sticking, and the comping is not working as expected in any way. I cannot get selections to snap, and have turned on "Snap Quick Swipe Comping to Absolute Values" in the Snap menu, but it won't snap at all. Which tool are we supposed to be using for this? When I flatten the comp, I get blank sections. I'm completely confused. I've quit and restarted Logic a few times. And I began the lesson with a pristine 03 file, so I don't know what's going on. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with Logic Tommy,

Which tool are we supposed to be using for this?

All the instructions are in the book - in that case you should be using the Pointer tool.

When I flatten the comp, I get blank sections. I'm completely confused. I've quit and restarted Logic a few times. And I began the lesson with a pristine 03 file, so I don't know what's going on. Any suggestions?

I know the lesson works as expected in 10.0.6 because I have taught three classes already, so you may want to try trashing your Logic preferences. I can help you with that if you share your system info: Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.5)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.1)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with Logic Tommy,

Which tool are we supposed to be using for this?

All the instructions are in the book - in that case you should be using the Pointer tool.

When I flatten the comp, I get blank sections. I'm completely confused. I've quit and restarted Logic a few times. And I began the lesson with a pristine 03 file, so I don't know what's going on. Any suggestions?

I know the lesson works as expected in 10.0.6 because I have taught three classes already, so you may want to try trashing your Logic preferences. I can help you with that if you share your system info: Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

David, thanks so much. Updated my profile. Good, yes, was using Pointer tool…

I am impressed with the depth and richness of Logic which your book is bringing out very elegantly, even though I'm just into Lesson 3. I had no idea Logic was so rich. It's impressive.

I'm filling up pages with notes on shortcuts and such as I go. Is there a handy reference for shortcuts and tips and overview which you would recommend?

BTW, I love the funk guitar so far in Lesson 3, is that you?

I also got your Logic 9 book recently, just before getting Logic X. But I have not started it. Is it still useful as a Logic Pro X user -- I'm not very familiar with Logic 9 and wouldn't expect to use 9 much, now that I have X(?) Yet I imagine some of the lessons for Logic 9 in your book might still apply in a general way to Logic X? Are there elements in the 9 book you would recommend?

Is there a handy reference for shortcuts and tips and overview which you would recommend?

The appendix at the end of the book lists all the key commands used in the book. I recommend you print it and use it as a reference. When you want to go further and learn key commands that are not discussed in the book, just open your key command window and do a search.

BTW, I love the funk guitar so far in Lesson 3, is that you?

Yup. :lol: I'm also playing guitars on "Little Lady" (Lesson 7).

I also got your Logic 9 book recently, just before getting Logic X. But I have not started it. Is it still useful as a Logic Pro X user -- I'm not very familiar with Logic 9 and wouldn't expect to use 9 much, now that I have X(?) Yet I imagine some of the lessons for Logic 9 in your book might still apply in a general way to Logic X? Are there elements in the 9 book you would recommend?

I would recommend you go through the Logic 9 book's Ultrabeat lesson as it should work pretty much the same in LPX and isn't discussed at all in my LPX book.

So back to the topic at hand, to trash your preferences: Quit Logic. In the Finder, hold down Option as you click the "Go" menu and choose "Library". Then go into the Preferences folder and delete all com.apple.logic10... files then reopen Logic and try again?

So back to the topic at hand, to trash your preferences: Quit Logic. In the Finder, hold down Option as you click the "Go" menu and choose "Library". Then go into the Preferences folder and delete all com.apple.logic10... files then reopen Logic and try again?

OK, thanks, trashed the two …10 preference files. Relaunched. It asked "Use key commands optimized for Logic Pro X?" I didn't know what to do, I chose keep previous.

Then it said new content is available to download. Surprising, since I downloaded all content last week. Clicked OK, see it's going to take some 30 hours on my ATT connection… :) Is it downloading all the content I already have?

Comping lesson working better, but still can't get my comp to match the book. It breaks into two sections, making separate take folders one at bar 13, one at bar 14. I must have cut them somehow?

Is the Pointer tool supposed to turn into a thick I bar for swiping comp selections? At other times it becomes a line with two arrows pointing left and right, appears to be for moving the position of the swiped edge, is that correct? But at other times, like on take 2 for part of the take the vertical line disappears and I only see the two triangle-like arrows pointing left and right. Is this correct tool behavior? What is it for?

More importantly, you write, "An easy way to start a new comp is to Option-click a take to select it, and start comping again." That sounds very useful but I can't get it to work because -- how do I unflatten the comp? Flattening has hidden the takes. How do I access the takes to start a new comp? I've looked it up Logic's built-in Help, it doesn't say. There is no longer a disclosure triangle or take menu or anything to click on after Flattening. Is Flattening a one-way operation? Only way to open up the flattened take folder is to undo the operation with Command-Z? That seems un-elegant and un-Logic-like.

Sorry for all the questions -- editing audio is a major portion of my production workflow in other DAWs, so I want to make sure I'm learning the comping lesson correctly!

PS: How do attach photos to a post? Was going to show my comp screen shot. Thanks! It's wonderful to be able to communicate with you, the author, this way. Really appreciate it! Really appreciate the forum.

OK, thanks, trashed the two …10 preference files. Relaunched. It asked "Use key commands optimized for Logic Pro X?" I didn't know what to do, I chose keep previous. Then it said new content is available to download. Surprising, since I downloaded all content last week. Clicked OK, see it's going to take some 30 hours on my ATT connection… :) Is it downloading all the content I already have?

Not being in front of your Mac, it's impossible for me to tell. But the whole installation/key commands/preferences/media download process is detailed in the Getting Started section of the book.

Comping lesson working better, but still can't get my comp to match the book. It breaks into two sections, making separate take folders one at bar 13, one at bar 14. I must have cut them somehow?

Sounds like it. It should definitely not do that if you follow the step by step. If you want, start a new thread in the Logic Pro X forum and detail exactly after which step the discrepancy between what you're seeing and what's described in the book occurs.

Is the Pointer tool supposed to turn into a thick I bar for swiping comp selections? At other times it becomes a line with two arrows pointing left and right, appears to be for moving the position of the swiped edge, is that correct? But at other times, like on take 2 for part of the take the vertical line disappears and I only see the two triangle-like arrows pointing left and right. Is this correct tool behavior? What is it for?

Yes, this is all correct behavior. That last one is for moving the highlighted area left or right.

More importantly, you write, "An easy way to start a new comp is to Option-click a take to select it, and start comping again." That sounds very useful but I can't get it to work because -- how do I unflatten the comp?

If you've flattened, then you're no longer looking at a take, therefore my advice no longer works. You can press Command-Z to go back or try on another take folder, but you'll need a take folder.

Is Flattening a one-way operation? Only way to open up the flattened take folder is to undo the operation with Command-Z?

Yes.

PS: How do attach photos to a post? Was going to show my comp screen shot. Thanks! It's wonderful to be able to communicate with you, the author, this way. Really appreciate it! Really appreciate the forum.

You use the Upload attachment button at the bottom of the text box when you post/reply.

OK, thanks, trashed the two …10 preference files. Relaunched. It asked "Use key commands optimized for Logic Pro X?" I didn't know what to do, I chose keep previous. Then it said new content is available to download. Surprising, since I downloaded all content last week. Clicked OK, see it's going to take some 30 hours on my ATT connection… :) Is it downloading all the content I already have?

Not being in front of your Mac, it's impossible for me to tell. But the whole installation/key commands/preferences/media download process is detailed in the Getting Started section of the book.

Thanks. Would trashing the preferences files have caused Logic to lose track of content and downloads, and therefore redownload content? Installing the download failed, had to Force Quit, redownload content, got many errors. Was it preferences file related?

Thanks for the tips about flattened take folders and tool behavior!

A few things I'd like to confirm about quick swipe comping after that lesson, (an awesome technique):

-I ended up making region separations in the audio, while trying quick swipe. Could not control it or figure it out. Seemed random. Black lines separating regions. Any idea...? (Appear to be some kind of separation or cuts, tho I never intentionally cut…) Probly one of those beginner mysteries...

-What is the hierarchy of swiped sections that appear in the comp? Is it whatever was selected last? Do the selections flow from down to up, or up to down, or both? Is there a way to select this pattern? Edit: I read the User Guide, no mention on this. It appears every take has equal weight, and the hierarchy is the most recent selection. Is that how it works? :)

-How can we make fades in the comp without flattening? I can't get any fades to work in the take folder. It appears that the take folder is blocking fades. Is this normal? Edit: read the User Guide, no mention. Apparently we can't make fades in the take folder?

I'll start a separate thread for further comp discussion. :)

I read through the whole book this weekend, before doing the remaining lessons, it's excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go, David. I will definitely be buying that. And I just want to take the chance to say that discovering Logic Pro has been one of the great joys of my life...it has made so much music possible for me...and I NEVER could have done it without this forum. You guys are the BEST, and if there's ever a convention where I could meet you in person, expect me there, with beer and chocolates in hand!

Dustin

@tommypiper, this is not the best thread to ask all your questions. Instead, for each question you have, start one new thread (one thread = one topic) and use a descriptive title for each thread. Then we can discuss those topics in their own individual threads. Thank you!

Way to go, David. I will definitely be buying that. And I just want to take the chance to say that discovering Logic Pro has been one of the great joys of my life...it has made so much music possible for me...and I NEVER could have done it without this forum. You guys are the BEST, and if there's ever a convention where I could meet you in person, expect me there, with beer and chocolates in hand!

Cool! Thanks for taking the time to write that! :D

Hey David,

I have Logic 9 still and have purchased the first certification book, and plan on getting the advanced version, just because I cant afford "Logic X",, if I was to master the information from both the first and "Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music Production", would the knowledge base be completely different when I get logic x at the end of the year or in 2015? I guess I'm asking how much would cross over to X.

@ahmadjamal, I would say that maybe around 70% of the info you're learning in both Logic 9 books will cross over to Logic X. It's not like Logic X is a completely new software so the basics are the same. Some things are done a little differently in X, some things are easier to do now, and obviously there are new features that you'll want to learn when you get Logic X. But you're definitely not wasting your time learning Logic 9.

I'm a couple of chapters into this book and can honestly say...this book is awesome! I have already learned so much...it has helped accelerate my learning and has exceeded my expectations! Looking forward to continuing my learning and finish the book. Great job David!

Hi David,

It's been a few years since I've posted (I've been sticking with LP8 ) but I'm getting a new mac and LPX. I'll only have the 4gb of ram for the first month or so, and I know that's the minimum system requirement. IIRC, the exercises in your LP8 book were pretty basic and not too RAM intensive. Would it be safe to assume that the 4gb will be adequate to work through your book for a month or so and I have an opportunity to upgrade the RAM to 8gb? Should I just hold off and wait til I've got my system in order? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm extremely happy that you're still authoring these books as the LP8 one was awesome and invaluable!