SSD HD Macbook - where to put loops?

Hi All,

I've installed an SSD on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), in place of the optical drive.

The OS and Logic are installed on the SSD (which is the boot drive), and I'm currently keeping all my project files on the HD.

I've read a helpful post about how to move the loops to the HD and create aliases, which certainly makes sense as far as space goes, but I've also read that you get the best performance if the drive can simply read, or simply write, and not have to switch between doing both. My preference would be to move the loops to the HD as the SSD isn't huge, but my ultimate priority is getting the best performance out of this setup.

So, my question: since I'm working with 2 drives here, if I move my loops to the HD, I believe it'll mean the drive is reading (the loops) and writing (whatever I'm working on). Which will yield the best performance:

(a) SSD - Logic sans loops,

HD - loops and session files

(b) SSD - Logic with loops,

HD - session files

Not sure how big your SSD is but I put everything on the SSD and have had no issues whatsoever. I do have the room for it, Terabyte Crucial SSD. If you have room you might want to consider this. Super convenient if you need to mix and record on the go.

A terabyte SSD would be nuts. In fact, it would solve this whole thing. But so would a Mac Pro, or 12 different RAIDed hard drives.

But back to reality - my SSD is 120 GB and i'd like to leave some empty space so I can have room for other apps.

Archived