Can someone help with several things please?

twistiejoe

Hello, I've been using Logic for nearly 2 years now. Still having trouble with several things, despite even taking university courses in this program lol.

1 - With certain samples I have to create an empty midi region and put the modulation to 126/127 to hear anything. Is there a way around this, or is there something I'm missing? It gets so fiddly when I'm trying to compose. Sometimes I have to hope that what I've played sounds okay and then just have to fix it later, but I want to hear what I'm doing WHILE it plays. What am I doing wrong there?

2 - In score view, I'm having trouble inputting notes with step-time on occasion. Sometimes I have to keep turning on and off midi input and output several times until the computer eventually realises that I'm trying to input notes. Is there something I'm missing here?

3 - Also in score view, viewing the region I have selected is a problem. I have to fiddle around with the magnifying glass tool. until I can finally see the region I want. Have I changed settings or something here?

4 - Still having trouble with stuttering midi only with EastWest PLAY. I'm running 16GB 2.7 ghz iMac and samples from G-RAID-0 drive e-sata to thunderbolt. When I highlight that particular track, as in it goes grey, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Also adding modulation causes the same problem sometimes. Is my computer not powerful enough for East West samples?

I hope someone can help me. If anyone live in New York City who can help me with this maybe you could come over and show me what I'm doing wrong. I would be willing to pay.

Many thanks.

Hey twistiejoe, generally, it's way better if you post one topic per thread. (See Forum rules - please READ THIS before posting, item #3.) This makes the search function at LPH work much better. These are all likely solvable by different people here on the forum, without you having to resort to paying someone to come over to your studio.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with putting the word out that you're looking for that kind of service.

So - I'll take a crack at the first one.....

1 - With certain samples I have to create an empty midi region and put the modulation to 126/127 to hear anything. Is there a way around this, or is there something I'm missing? It gets so fiddly when I'm trying to compose. Sometimes I have to hope that what I've played sounds okay and then just have to fix it later, but I want to hear what I'm doing WHILE it plays. What am I doing wrong there?

This has to do with the way a specific instrument is programed to respond to the modwheel. Often, the sound will be quiet with a duller tone when the mod wheel is at the bottom of it's travel and much brighter the more you push the modwheel up. And yes, this can be a PITA when you're trying to input notes manually. You'll encounter exactly the situation you describe but this is the price of having an expressive instrument! You might want to experiment with how the modwheel can improve the "reality" of the performance. If all you're doing is setting modulation to full on, then you're likely missing out on the full expressive potential of the instrument.

Your solution - placing a region with full mod wheel data in it - is not a bad one. But sometimes that doesn't work. I often find myself grabbing the modwheel right before doing some editing in a region so that I can hear the louder, brighter sound of the instrument.

When I switched to a keyboard that had no modwheel, I had to get one of these. I think it cost about $30.

I park it on the back side of my keyboard, on the left. A bit of a kluge for sure and only just barely workable with the space but it does the trick for me. I have it plugged into one of my typing keyboard's usb ports and that works fine.

You should definitely have a modwheel somehow in your set-up! That's a LOT of expressiveness you don't have access to with some of the Play instruments. And with all sorts of Kontakt libraries and many of Logic's own synths and sampled instruments.

Edited by camillo jr

So, just to follow up on this:

What would people suggest about getting these so that I can control the damn mod wheel because my keyboard doesn't have one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BCF2000/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKON2bk/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKON2bk/

Any good? Should I spend more or will one of these be okay?

Thanks.

I found a useful MIDI FX script and saved it a while back. It might do what you need for free.

It simply creates a slider that that can be assigned to any Control Change number.

Edit: Actually it is preset for only CC #1 or Mod Wheel.

In the MIDI FX area open the 'Scripter' plugin.

Then paste the following code over the example code in the 'Script Editor'.

var PluginParameters = [{name:"VXF", type: "lin", defaultValue:1, minValue:0, maxValue:127, numberOfSteps:127}];

function HandleMIDI(event)
{
  event.trace();
  event.send();
}

function ParameterChanged(param, value)
{
 if(param == 0){
      var VXF =GetParameter("VXF");
   var cc = new ControlChange;       
   cc.number = 1; 
   cc.value = VXF;         
   cc.send();  
   cc.trace();   
 }
}

You can save this for future use, I called it "Control Change Slider" so you can find it again.

This script first appeared from a LPH user named "nanook" in the middle of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=97212#p509106

Hope this helps

Hello, I've been using Logic for nearly 2 years now. Still having trouble with several things, despite even taking university courses in this program lol.

2 - In score view, I'm having trouble inputting notes with step-time on occasion. Sometimes I have to keep turning on and off midi input and output several times until the computer eventually realises that I'm trying to input notes. Is there something I'm missing here?

3 - Also in score view, viewing the region I have selected is a problem. I have to fiddle around with the magnifying glass tool. until I can finally see the region I want. Have I changed settings or something here?

4 - Still having trouble with stuttering midi only with EastWest PLAY. I'm running 16GB 2.7 ghz iMac and samples from G-RAID-0 drive e-sata to thunderbolt. When I highlight that particular track, as in it goes grey, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Also adding modulation causes the same problem sometimes. Is my computer not powerful enough for East West samples?

I hope someone can help me. If anyone live in New York City who can help me with this maybe you could come over and show me what I'm doing wrong. I would be willing to pay.

Many thanks.

Intuitively, I would be tempted to believe that you have a problem with the MIDI settings in your setup somewhere, either hardware or software wise.

Consider checking the MIDI cables/commexions. Try different keyboard controllers or even the computer input keyboard. Check in you AudioMIDI Setup window, in the Environment, etc.