Mixer for computer based home studio

Hi

I'm selling my Yamaha 01v mixer and trying to buy a new analog mixer.

All I need is 14 inputs and a great sound, but it would be nice if I can record those inputs directly to my Macbook, via USB, maybe...

I don't understand the concept of Auxs and I think I don't need them very much... The more important is the sound quality and the quality of the recording since I'll do all the mixing in Logic Pro X.

Thank you all.

I have some MIDI instruments and sometimes I have to record a voice or guitar. My budget is 600€ or less.

Do you think the Allen & Heath Zed14 is a good choice? I have a Focusrite 8i6 audio interface. Maybe I can connect the main XLR outs of the mixer to the xlr inputs on the Focusrite to have a quality recording.

What do you think?

Again, I would skip the mixer and get an audio interface.

I have some MIDI instruments and sometimes I have to record a voice or guitar

Doesn't sound like you need too many inputs?

I have a Focusrite 8i6 audio interface. Maybe I can connect the main XLR outs of the mixer to the xlr inputs on the Focusrite to have a quality recording.

You don't need the mixer to be able to make good quality recordings...what's wrong with your Focusrite 8i6? Isn't it enough for your input and outputs needs?

J.

But isn't it too "heavy" for my 2008 Macbook processor?

You might get a tiny bit more CPU strain with a multi I/O audio interface, but nothing that could be considered a problem.

I've used an RME Fireface 400 with a 2007 Macbook Pro for years and was using an Apogee Duet before that. Not much of a difference in the CPU department.

J.

Unless you can afford a high level console…Neve, SSL, API, MCI, or even a Taft, etc, you will probably be degrading your sound. Stay in the box and take some of the advice mentioned above. Also, you might consider a summing mixer. But only a high end one.

You won't get "great sound" with that budget if you want individual tracks in.

You're going to have to settle for ebay deals on an Onyx or Multimix Firewire.

For what it's worth, I recorded a bunch of records on a Multimix Firewire, which I literally just sold off today.

Had it for 8 years and actually made a few dollars when I sold it. It's not "great", but there's no reason as to why you can't make great sounding records with it.

An option could be to switch the Scarlett for an Saffire Pro 24 and add an ADAT interface like SM Pro Audio Q-ADAT to that. That would give you a total of 12 analog inputs for very little money.

If you use the direct monitoring it wont put any strain on the computer at all since it's all mixed in the interface.

If you would like additional mic preamps you could get the Behringer ADA8000, ADA8200 or Focusrite Octopre instead of the Q-ADAT, depending on your budget.

Thank you for your help. The RME seems too expensive...

I have 600€ or less to spend.

you can get a used FF400 for less than 600€, they for for ~500.

If you need a lot i/o and have external preamps, get Echo Audiofire 12 perhaps.

Just, don't get a mixer. waste of money and space.

If you absolutely need all the inputs, then getting 2 of these will work.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project-Recording-Interface-104626908-i1371793.gc

If you can get a GC credit card, you can stretch the payments out over time.

However, using a mixer is not going to gain you sound quality at the input or output.

It sounds as if it is only you recording so all those inputs are not an issue. Your focus rite is enough.

Look into something like EZ MIX II to help out with your mix.

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=135

If your comp is too old to upgrade to this, then maybe a Mc mini is in order.

If all that is out of the question, then everything can still be done in Logic and a macbook.

Bottom line: A mixer isn't going to help.

If you absolutely need all the inputs, then getting 2 of these will work.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project-Recording-Interface-104626908-i1371793.gc

If you can get a GC credit card, you can stretch the payments out over time.

However, using a mixer is not going to gain you sound quality at the input or output.

It sounds as if it is only you recording so all those inputs are not an issue. Your focus rite is enough.

Look into something like EZ MIX II to help out with your mix.

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=135

If your comp is too old to upgrade to this, then maybe a Mc mini is in order.

If all that is out of the question, then everything can still be done in Logic and a macbook.

Bottom line: A mixer isn't going to help.

Thank you!

I'll check those!

I know this is perhaps a silly question but I can´t find an audio interface with at least 12 analog inputs and only 2 outputs for monitoring.

All the suggestions here have digital connections and lots of outputs I won't need because I intend to do all my mixing in Logic X.

I know you gave me lots of suggestions but can you remember some like I described?

The Motu 8 pre only has two outputs.

You can link two of them and you have 16 inputs.

But here is the question that matters: How many simultaneous inputs do you need? Are you recording drums?

Because if you're not gonna record more than 2 inputs at the same time, any interface with 2 inputs/mic pres will do.

Mixing is done in Logic.

I know this is perhaps a silly question but I can´t find an audio interface with at least 12 analog inputs and only 2 outputs for monitoring.

All the suggestions here have digital connections and lots of outputs I won't need because I intend to do all my mixing in Logic X.

I know you gave me lots of suggestions but can you remember some like I described?

Whats wrong with going digital via ADAT?

also,

http://tascam.com/product/us-1800/

The Motu 8 pre only has two outputs.

You can link two of them and you have 16 inputs.

But here is the question that matters: How many simultaneous inputs do you need? Are you recording drums?

Because if you're not gonna record more than 2 inputs at the same time, any interface with 2 inputs/mic pres will do.

Mixing is done in Logic.

As someone suggested me, there is this good idea of having my instruments processed in real-time with software plug-ins.

I have kind of 6 MIDI instruments I use (some analog) and it would be a great idea to have them mixed in real-time in Logic X, even before they are recorded. I'm sorry I can´t explain it better. English is not my mother tongue...

The Motus seems the answer!

Ok, one thing is mixing.

Another thing is recording.

I ask again: how many instruments do you record (audio, not midi) at the same time? One, two?

You don't need 16 inputs if you're not using 16 microphones or line inputs at the same time.

Can you speak spanish? If you can it explain it better, go for it.

Ok, one thing is mixing.

Another thing is recording.

I ask again: how many instruments do you record (audio, not midi) at the same time? One, two?

You don't need 16 inputs if you're not using 16 microphones or line inputs at the same time.

Can you speak spanish? If you can it explain it better, go for it.

Ok, lets say I need 12 inputs to mix in Logic before recording them, using the external midi instrument feature.

After that, I don´t mind recording one at a time.

Depending on how many keyboards you want to hear at the same time (routing the audio of the keyboard back to Logic), that determines how many audio inputs you need.

If you have lots of keyboard that need to be connected thru midi you can get a midi interface.

MIDI gives you 16 channels.

Check this out about the Environment window in Logic and MIDI (very important for external MIDI)

And this one about multiple keyboards

Edited by triplets

External MIDI is not audio.

You just need a midi input and output on the interface. Or actually a midi interface with many ports to connect all your keyboards.

MIDI gives you 16 channels.

Check this out about the Environment window in Logic and MIDI (very important for external MIDI)

And this one about multiple keyboards

He's talking about bringing the synths' audio into Logic, so he definitely needs an audio interface with enough audio inputs.

J.