Logic Pro X Drummer ?

kingdondo

Hi guys - relative newcomer to Logic Pro. My issue is with drummer. All very specular, however how do you get some really basis feels. I'm talking basis 4x4 rock (AC/DC etc) stuff. I'm finding that the drummer actually "takes over" on the track. Tried loops which are fine but obviously not as "flexible".

Thanks,

King Dondo

Would EZ drummer solve my issue ?

If you want more flexibility than loops as mentioned in your original post, EZ Drummer probably won't solve your problem. EZ Drummer comes with MIDI loops as your grooves rather than giving you a starting point that's easily tweakable on the fly like with Drummer. I do use both depending on what the project calls for. And technically if you happen to quickly find your MIDI groove in EZD that's close to what you want, you pull it into Logic and tweak a couple MIDI notes to get exactly what you want. It's not too painful, but definitely more time-consuming and less efficient than the way Drummer approaches it.

The last three songs I've done I've let Drummer compose drum parts based on what I play, then gone in later and tweaked them to better fit what I originally had in mind. I get good results from programming drums but doing so in conjunction with Drummer has vastly improved my tracks. Work with it a bit, get a feel for it and you'll love it.

The last three songs I've done I've let Drummer compose drum parts based on what I play, then gone in later and tweaked them to better fit what I originally had in mind. I get good results from programming drums but doing so in conjunction with Drummer has vastly improved my tracks. Work with it a bit, get a feel for it and you'll love it.

Hey, could you elaborate a bit? Do you play in a groove manually and then drag it into that track? Does it play the region back verbatim? Or does it actually riff off of it?

I'm a guitarist, here's my workflow:

First I lay down a guitar track, to a click. Most of the time when I'm recording, i'm writing as I'm recording the guitar part so I might lay down a verse and a chorus. Then I open the arrange track and set it up according to what I've recorded. Then I'll open a Drummer track - the first thing I do is check the 'Listen' box (or however it's labeled) and set it to listen to my guitar track. Then I go through drummers and presets till I find something that's along the lines of what I want; or something that feels pretty good for the vibe of the song I'm working on. Then I'll listen to what the drums and guitar sound like together and that will usually inspire additional song parts. I continue this way until I've got the basic framework of the song down.

After this, when I have the drums track as close as I think I can get it using Drummer, I set up a generic MIDI track, drag the drummer parts to it, then back to the drummer track. This changes it to plain MIDI. I could just leave it on the MIDI track but dragging it back stops me from having to set up the MIDI track for drum sounds.

Then I edit edit edit the drums LOL! It still takes me a long time because when I'm listening through, I always hear parts, things I want in the drum track. I don't play drums but I sure think drums LOL!

So after I have a drum track that's edited and along the lines of what I want, I re-record that guitar part to get a more consistent performance, and one that benefits from playing along to the drum track. Usually at this point I will have 'heard' something else I want so I edit a little more, then go about recording the rest of the parts.

I will often tweak the drums, either changing parts or just velocities right up through the mixing process. It's nice to have this option....

Here's a link to the most recent song I've done this way....

https://soundcloud.com/senesmusic/ten-feet-tall

In this song the drum sounds are from Steven Slate Drums 4. I like some of the drum designer sounds but I'm just more familiar with SSD so that's what I used.

A good portion of the drum parts in this song are fairly close with hat Drummer composed, just some minor tweaks. Others are completely my programming. But I think it's a good example of how using Drummer can enhance a project.