Control simultaneously one synth parameter from 2 instances

roblogic

Hi,

I would like to stack several instances of the same synth and control one parameter simultaneously over all instances at the same time with one only knob.

I tried to do it with Smart Controls but I see it is not possible to map the same synth parameter of different instances with the same Smart control knob... Is there a way to do that??

Just tried this using the controller assignments window and its Learn function. Works fine but you may need to make some adjustments in the Expert View...like setting the Class parameter to "Channel Strip" and the Channel Strip parameter to "Software Instrument"...you'll also get this dialog:

943366227_ScreenShot2014-01-15at21_53_20.png.aae0679862852ec9da46e5cef019d531.png

Tell it to "Keep both" when having a single knob assigned to multiple parameters.

J.

Since you said "knob" I thought "MIDI Controller".

So basically you're looking to automate 3 parameters on three different synths simultaneously while wiggling a virtual knob with your trackpad?

That should be possible...I'm thinking "environment" but should be possible with Smart Controls too.

J.

Yes, I meant a knob of a smart control. What I am trying to achieve is for example put 3 Retro Synth on a track stack and assign the Cutoff of all of the instances to one only virtual knob or virtual fader so that I can control it with the trackpad.

Yes, I meant a knob of a smart control. What I am trying to achieve is for example put 3 Retro Synth on a track stack and assign the Cutoff of all of the instances to one only virtual knob or virtual fader so that I can control it with the trackpad.

But you also want to be able to do automation with that.

J.

But you also want to be able to do automation with that.

J.

Yes of course. The point is to automate the same parameter over all instances simultaneously. Is there a way to do it? :idea:

Is there a way to do it?

Yes. Here's one way using a combination of MIDI environment and controller assignments.

In the environment you'll have to create a fader or knob and connect it to a MIDI Instrument object. This instrument object will output the fader's data out an IAC bus, which due to its nature will send the fader's data back to Logic, allowing you to assign the data to the cutoff on your retro synths using the Learn function in the Controller Assignments window.

1506062553_ScreenShot2014-01-16at10_29_19.thumb.png.cefe152e63e70f22f7631d79303bea15.png

J.