logic pro 7 and apple g4 powerbook

syncsailor

i want to get logic pro 7 now and upgrade to 8 when it is released. But i don't want to invest in a new computer until i know the needs of logic 8. Considering that i will be using it on a g4 powerbook until then, max out the ram, and add a external hardrive, what kind of performance can i expect... track count and such.

thanks greatly.

No one really knows what to expect with 8...... As for 7, I get on ok with it on my powerbook (1.67GHz, 1.5GB memory, 5400rpm internal HD). I'm recording a 'conventional' rock band type setup, at the moment and combining it with quite heavily programmed electronic sounds. So, in short, 16 to 24 tracks of audio and quite a few virtual instruments and effects, particularly NI's Reaktor, which can really hammer the processor!

Yes I have to employ a few workarounds, changing the I/O buffer size to 1024 to mix, making quick decisions about synth sounds and printing them etc. I come up against the limitations of my system every day.

Initially I was a little dissapointed with the PB's performance, now I think the limitations aid my creativity, shutting doors and burning bridges when making a track is great for 'just getting on with it'. I know alot of people with 'uber' systems that never really do anything beyond getting intimidated by the near limitless possibilities.

Phew! that's my rant done, maybe not what you expected. Hope it helps though.