Core Audio vs Bit Accurate. Help!

I recently upgraded to Mavericks on my Macbook and then installed the new drivers for my Tascam interface. It's all working fine, but there is a new option in my audio I/O selector. It's now offering me the choice to use the interface as "Core Audio" or in "Bit Accurate". I don't know what the difference is, so I'm wondering if someone could explain.

Thanks!

This is Tascam's snide remark, indicating that the Core Audio driver is somehow not bit accurate.

Using DAW Software such as Cubase

For Cubase and other DAWs, please use the Bit Accurate type when available.

Logic Pro X is an example of an application where you must choose the Core Audio version.

[Example : Selecting the ASIO driver from within Cubase]

The Bit Accurate driver allows for the best stability in playback and recording within a DAW, but Mac applications that were downloaded from the Mac App Store are not allowed to use this method. For those applications, you must select the Core Audio version of the product's device.

in·di·cate

ˈindiˌkāt/

verb

gerund or present participle: indicating

point out; show.

im·ply

imˈplī/

verb

gerund or present participle: implying

strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated).

"the salesmen who uses jargon to imply his superior knowledge"

synonyms: insinuate, suggest, hint (at), intimate, say indirectly, indicate, give someone to understand, convey the impression, signal More

Take your pick, but "implying" is probably more correct in this case.

"implying" is probably more correct in this case.

It's a "bit" more "accurate"... :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure. "Indicating" sounds like you also "know" about some "bit inaccuracy" of coreaudio that Tascam's implying. But I take it you are sceptical, as was I. I could not find any sort of good (or even half-assed) explanation as to what this "bit accuracy" feature actually is or does, and since I am not dissatisfied with the accuracy of my own bits, I feel no need to look into it any further.

I fail to see where this problem could be:

The canonical formats in Core Audio are as follows:

iOS input and output Linear PCM with 16-bit integer samples

iOS audio units and other audio processing Noninterleaved linear PCM with 8.24-bit fixed-point samples

Mac input and output Linear PCM with 32-bit floating point samples

Mac audio units and other audio processing Noninterleaved linear PCM with 32-bit floating point samples

If the Tascam passes a 32 bit floating point signal to Core Audio and vice versa, how could this not be bit accurate?

Since we know (from tests) that iTunes, which uses Core Audio, is perfectly capable of bit accuracy when set up correctly, it must be some kind of I/O issue I've never heard of.

• 1 month later...

I used old tascam drivers with my US-1800 and it worked flawlessly. However when I installed new drivers and used core audio version in logic pro preferences i encountered clicks on the recording from microphones. It worked fine after i switched to bit accurate driver with core audio enabled in the audio preferences tab.

My advice is to use bit accurate driver since the core audio can mess up Your session!

• 6 months later...

I too am trying to find out what the difference is, if the core audio is used in an aggregate driver it adds a fair amount of latency.

From what Tascam says, Maverick has the precursors to an updated security scheme that is coming out in the next OS release. Within this enhanced security, a driver, (not downloaded from the App Store), such as the "bit accurate," is not "allowed" to be included with others that are true "core audio" type drivers.

Problem being, none of the Tascam drivers including the "core audio 32-bit integer" was downloaded from the "App Store."

The bit-accurate is definitely a better driver for the US-1800 and will work by itself. But Maverick does treat it like a "red-headed step child" compared to the other drivers. I have an open case with Tascam, I will post whatever they respond with, IF they respond....

btw, I'm assuming you are using the 3.00d8 beta 64 bit driver. I am thinking of going back to the 32 bit driver as mentioned by Jac3k, just to see what happens. The 3.00d8 was thrown together for 64-bit Maverick systems.

If anyone has the answer, please post it!

Thanks