Importing audio does not really import it?

mclight

This might be very basic - but I couldn't find an answer to this.

I thought that when I import an audio file into my project it is actually saved in the project and the source is not "touched". When editing imported audio files in the sample editor there are several destructive operations (eg. reversing). I've trimmed and reversed a file, I was warned by Logic it can't be redone (well, actually it can, but only for 5 steps by default) and that it will change "the original file" and went ahead assuming I'm messing around with an imported file saved as a "new original" in the project folder. But I was wrong. The original audio file was edited.

Well, I'm used to proper backups and can fix this accident. But I wonder how to deal with this in the future. Do I have to make a copy of each audio file I wish to import and import the copy before importing? How do you handle this workflow? :roll:

PS: this was a kind of small shock - I seem to have misunderstood the meaning of "import" completely ... :oops:

When you create a new project, before you record or import anything, do a Saves As and "include assets".

That way anything recorded or imported will be saved or copied on the project's audio folder.

If you forgot to do it and you already recorded or imported something, go to File / Project / Consolidate.

As I do not know how to check the "integrity" of my Apple Loops: if one messes around with these (applying destructive audio operations) ... do at least these stay unchanged? Or have they been treated the same way as my own "imported" files?

When testing this "save as" solution it worked perfectly. But I could see the Apple Loops audio files in the projects audio folder as well ... so I started to wonder ... :roll:

Yes - it is doing that! Even without checking the box in "save as" window ... (huh?). :shock:

But I was wondering what happened to the loops I played around with BEFORE I followed your suggested "save as" procedure. There weren't any apple loops in the project's audio folder before that - but I changed some of the apple loops too. Unfortunately I can't recall any longer which ones (I was just playing around without saving) so I cannot check. So my question is wether one can permanently alter apple loops or if these are somehow "write protected" in the library and once I use a loop again it will be unchanged. :?

Just one more thing: could you post a screen shot of your "save as" window with the proper boxes checked? I use the German version of LPX and there are no "assets" - it says ... well ... see the attached screenshot:

1594622156_Bildschirmfoto2014-01-27um22_39_02.png.c201fda9421758d01b6c2e05eac2a414.png

Screenshot German "Save As" window including audio

Test results:

If only "Audiodateien" is checked I will get all the (original) apple loop files with the extension CAF. Files I imported are stored with the extension of the original file.

If I check "Apple Sound Library-Inhalt" the Audio Files folder contains the same stuff as before. Checking this box automatically checks the boxes EXS, Ultrabeat and Spacedesigner too. Consequently I have an Impulse Responses folder containing 2 SDIR files (I assume these are settings of the Spacedesigner - although I didn't use this effect I think it's there because of the 2 default bus channels for small and large reverb), a Sampler Instruments folder containing an EXS file (must be the drumset of a drum loop used in the test file) and a Samples folder containing 228 AIF files of drumset samples.

So - I guess checking "Audiodateien" will do? :?:

Moreover I've tried to apply destructive editing to Apple Audio Loops. It's not possible. These functions are greyed out. Eg. one cannot force backward playing on an original apple audio loop. It seems you'll have to BIP it first in order to "destroy" the file. :wink:

Moreover I've tried to apply destructive editing to Apple Audio Loops. It's not possible. These functions are greyed out. Eg. one cannot force backward playing on an original apple audio loop. It seems you'll have to BIP it first in order to "destroy" the file.

Correct, you cannot destructively edit an Apple Loop. Gotta convert to aiff or wav first.

Did something change here with the way assets are handled - I just noticed that in LPX, when I create a new folder from my template - that "audio files" were not included in the project settings. I then went into my template and changed the project settings to include audio and to convert audio on import…. started a new project from template - and boom…. those asset settings were not saved in my template.

FOr some reason - I don't remember having this issue with LP9 when I crated a new project and saved (not saved as) - the audio files option was always checked in the assets….

did something change with LPX

and is there anyway to make this default behavior ?

thanks

kj

Archived