Creating Tempo Changes (flex time slicing)

Tony65

Hi all,

I am up to lesson 7 in David Nahmani's tuition book, and have hit a wall on page 308 onward to 310.

Having created two tempo sets as instructed, turning flex time slicing on for the slow drums track is not doing what it appears it should?

When I move the flex mode at the track inspector from off to flex time slice, the slow drum track expands from 12 bars to 22.2.4.1? and the beat sound slow and out of time regardless of what tempo set I choose (original or accelerando).

Apparently by selecting flex time slice and then playing the tracks at 120 BPM the slow drum track should match the tempo and stay in time, it is not, it is all over the place? Also with the flex time slice on an running at original tempo, because the flex time slice has extended the track length by nearly double it too is out of sync with the original tempo of 61.5 BPM. This is only corrected by switching the flex time back to off (where the slow drum track shrinks back to it's original 12 bars).

I hope I have explained what I am doing and hope I can be corrected before moving on.

Thanks

Tony

That's an odd one. Sounds like the tempo metadata embedded in the drum file is off somehow. Try this:

Turn off Flex and go back to the original slow tempo. Now, assuming the file is playing correctly to the grid, select the drum region and do this:

Edit > Tempo > Remove Tempo Information from Audio File.

And then this:

Edit > Tempo > Import Tempo Information from Audio File.

(If you are using an earlier version of Logic than LPX, the above menu items can be found instead in the Options Menu.)*

Now the drum file should have the correct tempo metadata and when you turn on Flex again, the file should stay in place.

* BTW, please update your signature so that your studio set-up is visible below your posts. This will help us help you better. Go to this link where you can enter that info. Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Removing the tempo info and then importing the tempo info did not work as once I had removed the info I had warning boxes informing the track had no tempo info to import.

Loading the blank project attached and then working through the lesson again did however. My question now is, do I need to use this blank project in future for anything that requires flex timing? or is this a one off glitch?

Also for some feed back to how the software is behaving different to how it is explained in the book, when I was following the changing the tempo curves part, the mouse icon remained a pointer, not a hand icon. The only time it changed to a hand was on the left on the global track header. But it all worked OK as a pointer so no drama.

Cheers

My question now is, do I need to use this blank project in future for anything that requires flex timing? or is this a one off glitch?

The glitch is not with Flex, the glitch is with the Tempo Sets in the Empty Project template in 10.0.6. So if you're not using tempo sets, you can continue using 10.0.6's empty project template. If you intend to use Tempo Sets, use any other template such as the one I attached.

Also for some feed back to how the software is behaving different to how it is explained in the book, when I was following the changing the tempo curves part, the mouse icon remained a pointer, not a hand icon. The only time it changed to a hand was on the left on the global track header. But it all worked OK as a pointer so no drama.

Yes, starting in LPX 10.0.5 the mouse pointer has changed from hand (or finger) to arrow in several places, such as when moving or copying a region, and such as moving a tempo change in the tempo track, or moving the control point below/above a tempo change to create a tempo curve.

I just finished writing an Errata for my book, for the changes in 10.0.5 and 10.0.6. It should be published shortly on the publisher's book page (http://www.peachpit.com/store/apple-pro-training-series-logic-pro-x-professional-9780321967596). Most of those changes are cosmetic and don't disrupt the flow of the book's exercises, the Tempo Sets exercises in Lesson 7 being the biggest exception - another one being the Alignment Guides, which have moved from the "View" menu to the "Edit" menu.