Advice on buying Mac Pro for Logic

Hi, it's time to update my 1st gen 2006 Mac Pro! I'll be buying second hand so not one of the new range - I was thinking 4,1 or 5,1. I'll be running Logic 9 for the first few months and then X. I have quite a few 3rd-party audio unit fx and VIs.

I'm wondering what people think the sweet spot is for Logic in terms of cores/CPU speed and price., and hopefully something that will stay useful for some time to come. Any input gratefully received!

The 8-core for the 2009 Mac pro (4,1) is great and affordable. I use it.

The 8-core on the 2010 (5,1) is not that much faster, certain things are actually slower, like the bus speed on the CPU.

A 6-core 2010 Mac Pro would be great. A 12-core the best, but very expensive.

The higher the gigahertz on the CPU the better.

Hi, it's time to update my 1st gen 2006 Mac Pro! I'll be buying second hand ...

I'm wondering what people think the sweet spot is for Logic in terms of cores/CPU speed and price ...

I must say, you came to the right place to ask this question. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago. From the super quick replies I found a very nice Apple reseller who happened to have a Mac Pro which was priced perfectly for my budget. Coincidentally, the sale just posted to my credit card about an hour ago

... OK - so an 8-core 4,1 or 6-core 5,1 and the fastest CPU affordable.

Sounds right. That jives with the info I found here and elsewhere on the net. I ended up buying a 2010 3.33ghz 6-core Westmere Mac Pro with 32GB RAM. With the money I saved, I added a PCI Express solid state drive and an OWC 3G SSD. I bought this machine from iPower Resale Group. Check them out:

http://ipowerresale.com/