Sample Storage

I'm upgrading my music stuff, but before I do, I thought I might ask for some ideas regarding sample storage. I don't use many large sample packs, but I do own a lot of sample CDs for one-shots, loops, etc. I used to just store all my samples on the HDD, in the 'Music' folder, under 'Samples'. However, I've had some people recommend using an external drive for all my samples and Logic projects. Is this such a good idea? I thought an external drive would be slower than the HDD. How do you organise your samples and Logic projects? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone recommend saving all EXS 24 samples in the Logic project?

However, I've had some people recommend using an external drive for all my samples and Logic projects.

That doesn't apply to everybody. If you're fine with your samples leaving on your internal HDD, I would recommend you continue working that way. Only change your workflow if it currently gives you problems. In other words, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Having all your samples on an external drive is only really useful when you're using really big sampled instruments. For one-shots and loops - keep it where it is!

Saving samples with the project can take up a lot of space, and it's unnecessary if you're always working on the same computer. Use that option if you need to transfer the project to someone else or another machine. It's also useful for archiving.

I dont have any samples on my MacBook Pro, they're all on my external HD (Samsung SeaGate M3 1TB). I have around 50GB+ of sample packs, loops, one shots, everything you wind find in a sample pack. I would never have them on my macbook as the space, i only have 43.77GB left, (my macbook only has 160GB HD total, meh!) so having just those samples would take it all up lol.

I'll be getting a nice new iMac soon, with a nice size HD, so then, I will actually copy my samples folder onto it, then ill at least have them safe in 2 places.