Controller Assignment Inputs default to "Any" [FIXED]

JonVoightKampff

So I'm trying to use my shiny new Roland A-800PRO midi controller with Logic Pro X, and after a solid two days of forum scouring and hair-pulling, I think I've discovered that my compatibility problems lie not with the keyboard (as I initially thought), but with Logic itself.

Let's say I want to map the software instrument Reverb control to one of my pots. I go through the Controller Assignment Learning process and successfully get the control to work. Important detail: in the right sidebar, the MIDI input automatically switches to "A-PRO 2."

But when I turn my keyboard off or restart Logic, the pot no longer controls Reverb. The mapping still exists in the Controller Assignment window, but since the MIDI Input has defaulted to "Any," it doesn't work anymore. If I change it back to "A-PRO 2" it starts working again.

I'm sure y'all can understand how impossible this would make using Logic w/ this keyboard if I have to individually fix the Input for dozens of sliders and pots every time I open Logic. When I was researching this issue, I discovered that people have been having this problem since Logic 8 and I didn't find a single solution anywhere.

My question becomes this: Doesn't this severely cripple a large number of Logic users? It wasn't just my controller people were complaining about. Is "Any" NOT a death sentence for most other keyboards? What am I missing here?

Edited by JonVoightKampff

I remember encountering a similar issue when I was trying to set up my APC40 with Logic 9 last year.

I think the solution was to open the Audio/MIDI settings on your mac, create a new instrument (call it whatever you like), assign your controller to that instrument, then select that instrument from the MIDI input dropdown. Once you create a new instrument in the Audio/MIDI settings it never goes away (unless you delete it). Thus, logic can always find it, so it should never default to ANY.

I think I found this solution on this forum a long time ago... I'll try to find the post again.

But when I turn my keyboard off or restart Logic, the pot no longer controls Reverb. The mapping still exists in the Controller Assignment window, but since the MIDI Input has defaulted to "Any," it doesn't work anymore. If I change it back to "A-PRO 2" it starts working again.

You shouldn't encounter this problem if your keyboard is on and connected to the computer before opening Logic.

J.

Jordi: Brilliant! That did the trick. Thank you. Do you think Apple is doing anything about an "official" fix, though? I feel like this is a common enough problem, and that it wouldn't be too much work to add some kind of "default midi input" setting in the Preferences somewhere.

shivermetimbers: ... honestly, I got it from a friend. I wanted to try it before buying it, considering there's no demo.