Switching to Logic from Pro Tools, need advice

Hi, I am new here. I have been using an old Pro Tools mix system for years. I am wanting to switch to Logic pro. I will need a new mac, and I would like maybe some advice of what kind of Mac Pro to get. I sometimes track Drum kits and will need to have up to 12 mics tracking simultaneously. It has been along time since I used a system that did not have onboard DSP for processing. I am concerned that I will run out of juice once I start adding a bunch of plugs.. It looks like to run LPX I will need at least a Mac Pro 4,1.

I wish I could afford one of the new Mac Pros but I just can't so it will be a used system. Any advice on what to expect out of some of the 4,1 and 5,1 Mac Pros in terms of track count and plugs would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Doug

I could record and mix multitrack drums/full songs on a 2008 MacBook Pro C2D 2.8Ghz.

Same session I mixed on a PTHD with 3 cards I could mix on that laptop.

If you work at 2x sampling rates (88.2/96) your track-count diminishes significantly.

My Retina macbook pro has a higher "Evan benchmark" track count than my old 8x2.8GHz Mac Pro 3,1.

Check out geek bench:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

They're a pretty decent comparison for what you can expect if you have reference performance.

Archived