Comments and icons on user templates - Possible?

Andreas Lorentsen

Hello,

According to Apple´s Logic user manual (last updated october 2013, what a shame), it should be possible to display comments/description in the template selection dialogue (New project from template), in addition to custom icons. I can´t find any way to do this. I´ve tried adding comments to the template file in FInder/Spotlight as well as tags, and even though I´ve changed the file icon in Finder (get info -> cut&paste png graphic) it doesn´t show up in the template selection window, or anywhere at all except in Finder.

From the manual:

You can organize your templates in folders with the Create Folder button in the Save As Template dialog. When all your user templates are placed in subfolders, the subfolder names are shown below the factory collections.

Tip: You can add descriptive text to your templates by adding a comment to the project file in the Finder. The Templates dialog displays the icon assigned to a template file, making it easy to change if you wish. For more information on how to add a comment to a file, or change the icon of a file, see Mac Help.

Does anyone have a clue?

Best regards,

Andreas

Maybe the manual is referring to adding comments in the Spotlight Comments field at the top of the Get Info window that is accessed via the Finder?

I used to hack my templates in LP9 so that they both had a custom icon and a comment in the New Project window.

But as far as I can see it is now broken Logic Pro X. I tried grabbing a standard template and putting it inside of my Project Templates folder but it lost both its icon and description by doing this.

I don't think it is possible to add comments at this stage. Maybe they haven't got around implementing this feature yet.

You can hack the project package to show you a different icon by changing the Windowimage inside the Alternatives folder.

Yes. This works.. For those who missed Eric's post above (I was too thick to see it myself)... :)

1. Find an image that is around the same size as the templates images. I grabbed a 128x128 png file

2. You need to convert it to jpg.

If you have a png file --> Open in Preview, and choose File> Export > Export As "WindowImage.jpg" in the Music/Audio Music Apps/Project Templates folder (or somewhere where you'll be able to locate it, for step 4)

If you have a jpg already --> Rename it to "WindowImage.jpg" and place it in the Music/Audio Music Apps/Project Templates folder (or somewhere where you'll be able to locate it, for step 4)

3. Right Click on your template in the Music/Audio Music Apps/Project Templates folder and choose "Show Package Contents"

- In the finder, browse in your template to the Alternatives/000/ folder (if you're in the right spot - there will be a "WindowImage.jpg" file there

4. From another Finder window, drag your new icon file into this folder -- replacing WindowImage.jpg

You have to close and re-open Logic Pro X -- but the icon now shows up when you go to user templates..

/Disclaimer mode- Do this at your own risk.. backing up your template project ahead of time is a good idea..

Hello,

Thanks everyone. I found another approach for adding my own templates to the default templates (or even replace the "Hip hop", "Electronic" etc. templates).

I won´t go into detail, but It involved copying my templates to the Project Templates folder inside the Logic Pro X package, creating a few 128x128 tiff files for the template icons, and some minor editing of plist files - pretty easy to figure out once I figured out where it was located.

I wish Apple would implement this functionality easy accessible to Logic though, but I guess they have their hands full with bug reports 8)

Andreas

• 1 month later...

Would you mind taking a look at my post re Default Templates Not Showing/Corrupted 10.0.6 here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=105752

I have tried a few of the suggestions above but it would seem I have damaged template files in the 10.0.6 package.

You guys seem to know your way around the NEWProject folder and its contents etc so may have a clue to solving my problem. Thanks

Archived