Delete MIDI note deletes entire MIDI region?

Nola111

Sorry if this is one of those bugs that have already been discussed - this weekend I was doing a lot of MIDI editing and every time I opened a MIDI region the first time and went to try to delete one MIDI note, Logic deleted the entire MIDI region. Then I would Cmd-Z, highlight the note again, hit delete, and the note would properly delete.

Exact steps to reproduce:

1. Double-click MIDI region to open it in the Piano Roll

2. Click on any one MIDI note with pointer tool

3. Hit Delete key on keyboard

Entire MIDI region gets deleted.

4. Cmd-Z

5. Select same MIDI note with Pointer tool

6. Hit Delete key

The MIDI note is properly deleted.

Is this just a setting I'm missing somewhere or can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks.

Is your Pointer Tool your secondary tool?

Your problem happens to me if I use a modifier key and then click on the MIDI note. It'll select the MIDI note, but not make the Piano ROll the active window.

Example: I use the Command Key to switch from Pointer to Velocity Tool. So if I double click on a region in the Arrange window, the Piano Roll opens. If I then Command-Click on the MIDI note to bring up its velocity, it'll edit the velocity, but NOT make the Piano Roll active. The Arrange window is still the active window. If I hit delete at that point, the entire region will be deleted, not the individual note. Perhaps that is what is happening to you.

Your problem happens to me if I use a modifier key and then click on the MIDI note. It'll select the MIDI note, but not make the Piano ROll the active window.

The Piano Roll should have key focus when you double-click a MIDI region.

Example: I use the Command Key to switch from Pointer to Velocity Tool. So if I double click on a region in the Arrange window, the Piano Roll opens.

And it should now have key focus??

In any case you are right in that it does sound like a key focus issue and that Nola's key focus is on the Tracks area vs the Piano Roll.

Ahh, yes. I should clarify. I misspoke. I always have the Piano Roll open on my second monitor, below my mixer. I usually only click once, not twice, on the MIDI region to view it's contents.

If Nola111 was doing a lot of editing, perhaps the Piano Roll was already open when selecting different MIDI regions.

It's all I got. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will go back tonight and take another look. It's highly possible that I switched MIDI regions with the Piano Roll already open, but once I select a MIDI note within the Piano Roll, shouldn't focus go to the PR at that point? I'll keep exploring.