New Mac Pro Logic Benchmark Tests

I am on an late 2007 Mac Pro 2,1 8core. Can't go above x.7.4 so it's at the end of it's cycle for me.

It was always a no brainer which Mac to buy for me until now. 2 video cards in the new Mac Pro? Maybe a top line iMac? I can't seem to figure out which move to make and I prob need to make a move soon, although I'd like to wait for the 2nd gen Mac Pro.

iMac scores higher on the 6 core (prob my $ price range) for "single core 64 bit benchmark tests", but not sure what that means for us.

Thanks!

Eric

Hey Triplets,

Thanks for you input, but there's no way I'm buying old technology at this point. No USB3, no Thunderbolt, no PCIflash etc etc.

Esp a machine that's only 2 years newer than mine. I work with lot's of guys that are rocking LPX on a newer iMac, so I'm not sure you are saying that's not an option in your opinion.

I just don't know if that's the path for me... or the new Mac Pro.

I'm also in the same boat regarding a new Mac pro. I've got a 8 core 3 gig from around 2008, which rocks (and kinda still does) But after this latest project, It's starting to choke on a lot of my orchestral plugs. So I'm going to demote it to be a Vienna Ensemble Pro module. That being said, I'm not sure how to approach the different processor options on the new pro. My main issue is at this point I HAVE to run my buffer at 1024, and even then I'll have 7 cores happily chugging along at 25%, and the eighth is in the red causing sputters and drop outs.

So looking at the new mac pros, I'm not sure what the deal is with upgrading to more processors. At first glance they get slower. And given logic's habit of dumping a pile of processing on ONE processor, this concerns me.

When I bought my 2008 model, I shelled out for for the upgrades and it paid off in the long run. But I can't tell if these upgrades will positively effect logics "single processor spike" issue that I have.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on all this.

Also, am I correct in assuming I'd have to ditch my firewire interface?

-P

I'm also in the same boat regarding a new Mac pro. I've got a 8 core 3 gig from around 2008, which rocks (and kinda still does) But after this latest project, It's starting to choke on a lot of my orchestral plugs. So I'm going to demote it to be a Vienna Ensemble Pro module. That being said, I'm not sure how to approach the different processor options on the new pro. My main issue is at this point I HAVE to run my buffer at 1024, and even then I'll have 7 cores happily chugging along at 25%, and the eighth is in the red causing sputters and drop outs.

So looking at the new mac pros, I'm not sure what the deal is with upgrading to more processors. At first glance they get slower. And given logic's habit of dumping a pile of processing on ONE processor, this concerns me.

When I bought my 2008 model, I shelled out for for the upgrades and it paid off in the long run. But I can't tell if these upgrades will positively effect logics "single processor spike" issue that I have.

You are absolutely right about this.

The new processors have what Intel calls Turbo boost. That means that the 4,6 and 8 core processors all have the same max clock frequency for a single core.

You will notice a great difference in CPU power, even for one core only, when comparing to your old Mac Pro.

The configuration that will give you "the most bang for the buck" is probably the 6 core Xeon.

Also, am I correct in assuming I'd have to ditch my firewire interface?

No. You can always use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter.

Archived